remove tiles

I've got the great job of removing old kitchen tiles from the wall.

I've done a few using a wallpaper scaper and hammer and it's not to bad. Any better methods?

Also I wanted to paint the wall instead now. How's the best method o getting the grout off the wall without doing any more damage tha necessary? The rest of the kitchen walls have paint straight onto th plasterboard

-- finney

Reply to
finney

You have a massive job on your hands if you want to paint the walls after.

Getting the last grout of the walls is going to be Hard work (yes the capital was intentional). You might try using a wall paper steamer. It will probably soften the grout (assuming it's not water proof grout) but it's likely to damage the plaster as well. A skim of plaster might be the best way. It will certainly be the quickest.

As for removing the tiles quickly (and probably with the minimum of damage) I would use a bolster chisel and lump hammer. I wouldn't have though a wallpaper scraper would be up to the job. However you do it your walls are going to suffer.

Reply to
doozer

If the tiled wall is plasterboard it's probably going to be a lot quicker to rip it off and replace it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Eew. Bolster chisel and hammer? :-) David

Reply to
Lobster

I'd 2nd that. It quite difficult getting back to a smooth surface good enough to paint on a previously tiled wall. My preferred tool is SDS drill with tile removing bit. Works a treat if walls are sound, but if tile adhesive is stronger than plaster/plasterboard then it removes the whole lot. :-) If the wall is undamaged after tile removal, use a heavy duty 4" scraper to remove residue. Then fill and sand, and fill and sand .... until it looks good with an oblique light shining on wall

Reply to
Old Bill