Remove security tag?

Wifey bought underwear for son only to find a security tag still attached when he tried to wear the pants. Shop is miles away, and receipt long gone.

Brute force? How do these things work? A couple of wide screwdriver blades to lever one off the other?

Reply to
News

Worked for me (colleague found a long-stashed pair of jeans had a tag)

The one I had to remove was effectively like an oversize drawing pin, with three flutes along the pin and ball bearings that jammed the flutes to the body, presumably the "remover" at the shop counter uses magnets to pull the ball bearings away?

I just crushed it in a vice, beware some of them have ink vials

Reply to
Andy Burns

Possibly not a good idea some tags have indelible ink inside.

Is the correct answer.

Must read to end of message...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah. May be worth playing with some 'rare earth' magnets, which I have at home.

Funnily enough, although I'm 500 miles from home at the moment, I do happen to have a fairly substantial vice in the boot of the car. Given the ink vials warning, perhaps I should wait until I get home, and try magnets first.

Reply to
News

Once bought a bottle of Scotch from a supermarket as a present. It was only when it was unwrapped we discovered the security tag still on the bottle.

It was a presentation bottle, in a foil cylinder, so obviously the security tags were useless ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We once bought a case of wine at Tesco. They brought a new unopened case from out back, opened it, put a security collar on each bottle, and then carried the case to the checkout for us. The checkout girl then took each bottle out, removed the collar, scanned the bottle, put it back in the box, and moved to the next one. What a waste of time and energy. "Procedures", of course.

Reply to
Davey

Nor in our local Morrison's. You have a bad one, clearly.

Reply to
Davey

Ah - so it is local management stupidity then? Thank you - I shall address a complaint appropriately.

I assumes that sort of thing was policy.

My nearest one (T Wells, handy as it is next to the station) used to be a great place to stop off to get a bag of nice products.

Over the last year or so the place has gone for a nosedive. Crappy vegetables that are knackered on display, rubbish under staffing at the tills, SS checkouts grinding to a halt.

Reply to
Tim Watts

For stuff like this I would search YouTube - it is pretty good for that sort of stuff.

Reply to
ARW

But look at the cliental of Morrisons basic state pension only pensioners, 50% gaa gaa and still working in £SD. They will have forgotten what to do between items.

The software "feature" that really bugs me are the chip 'n pin machines that say "Please Insert Card" but if you do before the checkout operator has touched the "card payment" button you have to take it out and start again. Yes, Tesco looking at you been like that since chip 'm pin came in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just about all of them, not only Tesco. While we are told to not remove our card until the transaction is complete, the checkout person can remove and reinsert it at will.

Reply to
Davey

In message , ARW writes

Excellent, thanks. There is a lovely video of some bird setting fire to the tag, which looks 'interesting'. I'm back home now, so will try playing with magnets first. Just got to find the magnets ...

Reply to
News

- But look at the cliental of Morrisons basic state pension only

- pensioners, 50% gaa gaa and still working in ?SD. They will have

- forgotten what to do between items.

But most of those, never go near the self-service checkouts in the first place.

They prefer manned checkouts where they can have a chat with the assistant, or at least try to. Possibly the only person they'll talk to all day.

- The software "feature" that really bugs me are the chip 'n pin

- machines that say "Please Insert Card" but if you do before the

- checkout operator has touched the "card payment" button you have to

- take it out and start again. Yes, Tesco looking at you been like that

- since chip 'm pin came in.

But that only applies to manned checkouts. (See above)

The only place I ever have trouble with cards is when buying books in charity bookshops. Many have two card readers connected in tandem, and poorly trained volunteer staff, and card readers which follow different protocols and display different messages, if at all. Basically, with some, if you put the card in too early the whole system breaks down and the only person who knows what to do is out to lunch, off sick, etc. However if you hold back and wait for the message, they may take you for a dribbler, grab the reader and card and slam it in themselves, bending it in the process, which can be quite painful

michael adams

michael adams

Last time that happened to me I just cut through the wire with some sidecutters.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

With only a conventional checkout in operation they have to battle the self-service ones.

Single pensioners aren't too bad for chatting, it's the couples, "Doris & Fred" ...

No it applies to the self service ones as well but normally you will have selected the payment method (as the checkout operator does) before trying to insert your card. I've not noticed any chip 'n pin machine, in any Tesco store, self service or operated checkou, having anything other than "Please insert card" as the standby message.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

snip

When we lived in the US, it was possible to insert the card while the items were still being rung up. When that was complete, the cashier just pressed whatever key was needed to continue the process. The only difference was that the US cards were not chip 'n pin, they were just plain credit cards. Does the chip instantly lock the system in to that card, before anybody has selected the payment method?

Reply to
Davey

No problem with inserting card while scanning in our local Booths supermarkets ( NW regional group), however Sainsbury's tills do not like this early insertion ! Just down to the tills and software.

Reply to
Robert

Yep, that makes sense. The usual "There is a much more sensible way to do this, so we'll stick with the old problematic way anyway" syndrome.

Reply to
Davey

The Sainsburys ones used to take early insertion of a payment card as a shortcut for pressing the "pay by card" icon on screen, now they make you take it out and press "go back", then "pay by card" then re-insert ... I can only assume that none of the designers of these self-service tills actually use them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I once had a car like that in the US. It had the then new "European" interior design, with column stalks for lights and wipers instead of the usual knobs on the dashboard, which everyone knew. This Ford had a short stalk for the wipers located way behind the long column-mounted gear selector, so that turning the wipers on and off meant a huge stretch to get beyond the gearshift, every time. There was no possibility of a quick response to water thrown up onto the windscreen. The designer should have been forced to drive the car for several years. I could never understand how things like that ever got approved for production.

Reply to
Davey