remove / replace ceiling rose

Hi

Wondered if any one can help me. In the middle of my living room ceiling, I have a ghastly plaster ceiling rose which I hate!

I want to remove it BUT the ceiling has been plastered with the ceiling rose on, and I am scared that the plaster on ceiling may crack or even fall off if I try to remove it. The other thing I thought was, is there something available to cover it?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Best Regards

Alec

Reply to
alecgreen

If you want something clean and simple, just a circle of MDF, maybe with a bevelled/routed edge.

Recess some small spotlights in it if you want.

Or mount some small spotlights flush in the ceiling, then mount a circle of etched glass a couple of inches from the ceiling to hid the rough plaster above.

If you don't have ornate cornicing and the general condition is good, it's not that big a job for a plasterer to reskim a ceiling.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Using something like a Stanley knife cut very carefully around the edge of the design. Check for screws holding the thing to the ceiling. May well be hidden by filler. Unscrew and you should be able to carefully lift/prise it clear if no one has used plaster to fix it.

You could always cover it with plaster if you prefer, creating a plain hump/disc shape. Cut wood to make a profile you just run around the thing to mould the new plaster, IYSWIM.

If you remove it you'll need to plaster the gap, so its plastering either way.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds nasty!

Reply to
John

if it's an original Victorian one you migh be able to sell it on eBay.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Multimaster and the sideways saw blade. Dead easy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not so much an idea as a questions. Is the ceiling lathe and plaster?

If so its condition matters - especially for some of the more invasive procedures. (I have done some *small* cuts in our few remaining bits of cheap Victorian lathe and plaster with a Bosch PMF180 - the poor man's multimaster. But for a large plaster rose I think I'd be afraid - very afraid.)

Reply to
neverwas

I had a lathe and plaster ceiling once - kept falling down as the joists couldn't carry the weight of the headstock.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

LOL.

It's a fair cop guv'nor. I'll go quietly. But can you please mitigate my fingers' sentence on grounds they first started bashing 40 years ago? (At a *keyboard* that is for those tittering at the back.)

Reply to
neverwas

Angle grinder. Works every time.

Reply to