Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old? - Page 2

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 2 of 2   «first < 1
2
Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
Bye, then. Off.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
Depends who you consider an arbitrary bunch.  Who _do_ you consider the
arbitrary bunch in this case?

Not true.  A word-processor will let you write a badly-formatted letter.
 A drill will let you drill your eye out.  Applications are just tools.

The fact that a lot of people do it doesn't make it correct.  Your
argument is full of logical flaws.

Perhaps, if you didn't use outdated, non-standards compliant
news-reading software, you wouldn't make life difficult for yourself by
being complelled to use the scroll wheel and for others by top-posting.
 One thing that I have learnt since reading this group is that you have
to have the right tool for the job.

Antony

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?

Anyone who writes "standards" without the authority to do so

Fair point.
The fact that someone takes it upon themself/ves to write a "standard"
doesn't make it correct either

Couldn't agree more. But sometimes it's worth doing a bodge if it's quick,
and a one line top post might well be such a bodge but if it does the job
then so what.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?

Perhaps you will hear lots of:

*plonk*

--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd         :  Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk :  http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
tiles are the worst surface to tile onto, smooth and slippery. You can
do it either way, but Id tile personally. Old tiles have a habit of
being or coming loose.

NT

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
perfect
You can tile over old. A bit like you can paint over old gloss paint. It's
possible, but its cheap bodge and better results can be had from removal.

Christian.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
I really do *not* think that in the majority of cases it is necessary
to strip the old gloss off something before re-painting. Where did that
idea come from?

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
Exactly. It isn't necessary, but it looks much better. Have you not seen 100
year old architrave looking like a blobby mess because all the delicate fine
mouldings are encased in 20 layers of gloop.

Christian.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
Of course, but that has not very much to do with your statement that
it is a "cheap bodge" to paint over old gloss. It isn't in the large
majority of cases. Your 100 y.o. architrave probably looked fine
intil about 1975.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
I'm just used to houses built around 1880-1910. They ALL have/had blobby
mess architraves. Even my "old" 1986 built hutch had issues with overpainted
gloss, with the crevices looking less than sharp.

Christian.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
I can't quarrel with you, it does happen - much of the problem is due
to poor/no preparation, and more is due to the use of "one coat" and
acrylic paints, and poor technique. I've spent a fair time "burning
off" paint from from mouldings; the finished effect is quite satisfying.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
In my student days the tiles in the kitchen of the "newly refurbished
house", came away from the existing tiles and fell off, after about 6
months. This was because the new tile adhesive had not stuck to the layers
of fat and grease on the old tiles near the cooker and layers of soap and
other yuck around the sink. Just pulled new tiles off, cleaned up old tiles
and landlord never noticed.

Re: Remove old tiles first or new tiles on top of old?
Tiling over old tiles..

    Old tiles make a good base for new tiles.. So things to bear in mind...
how well do the old tiles adhere as your new tiles will only be as good
as the old adhesive! As above are they clean, how will corners,
cupboards etc work out with the increased height of the new tiles if
placed on the old. Do a test to check that adhesive used works well on
old tiles.

If you decide to remove the old tiles then a flat even surface will
improve the final result so will you need to replaster, can you
replaster or afford a tradesperson otherwise.

I personally remove old tiles most of the time but nearly always end up
re-skimming the surface.. David

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 2 of 2   «first < 1