Remove cement/mortar from tarred driveway ?

Hi,

I recently had a boundary wall replaced, and the builders were a bit messy with the mortar, and the short driveway is looking very messy. I was intending to get it off while it was fresh with a power jet, but a couple of days of hard frost later and the morter is well hard. I know from experiece that using a high-presurre with a "pulsing" nozzle is great at cleaning /removing but this is too vicious and breaks up the surface of the tarred driveway.

I will eventually be replacing it but is there a quick/easy way to remove the mortar off without affecting the softish tarred surface ? I recall reading that dilute Hydorcloric acid eats cement - but what would it do to tar ? ... and can this simply be washed down and diluted flowing into the street/drains.

-- Ham

Reply to
Ham

I wonder if it would be easier to apply a second coat of tar-paint of somekind and camouflage the cement droplets into the tarmac background?

Reply to
ChasesDragons

The usual thing with snots is to let them dry then knock them of, they come off easily. If theres any residue, HCl aka brick acid removes the remaining stain. The important thing is not to leave them, as over several days they will harden in a big way. Freshly dry mortar is weak, but not for long.

Tarmac is very slighty flexible, cement isnt, so if you get no other ideas I'd try tapping them with a hammer, they may break off or break up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It SHOULD be fine on tar. Try a small section.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher