remove burnt on starch from iron? (2023 Update)

use spray starch- now the tefal non stick iron base has burnt on starch! have tried scraping with a nylon scrubber. any more ideas?

Reply to
Anon Ymous

In message , Anon Ymous writes

You can get little tubes of 'Iron cleaner' dunno what it is, but did the job in cleaning ours.

Reply to
chris French

I've heard that rubbing an orange or lemon on it can remove most of, if not all of it.

Reply to
BigWallop

where in leeds did you get this iron cleaner stuff?

Reply to
Anon Ymous

In message , Anon Ymous writes

I haven't a clue where it came from.

Goes to kitchen draw

Rummage, rummage, rummage.

Price tag says 'Robert Dyas', so I didn't buy it in Leeds - Brighton or London I guess.

It's made by Vilene, I note it does indicate that it's not suitable for non-stick irons.

Reply to
chris French

Yup, I was just thinking that. Mrs Beeton tells you how to do it, and I suspect she used lemon juice, but dont remember for sure.

She also tells you how to re-black your bras should you ever need to, all without buying any chemicals.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Try Samuel Taylor

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Does she say how to re-whiten the white ones?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

She does too... dare I ask?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Having many complicated procedures I was pleased to find that all the burnt on starch came off very quickly by simply wiping over with a sponge soaked in white vinegar

Reply to
Don

Reply to a 20 year old question! Is this a new HOH record?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sadly no, but at least its info for those who still use starch and can be arsed to use an iron. Why cannot that we site have clearer information that it does not care about the year and that it can send messages to Usenet, so please quote, at that point you will find a likkle message will alert to the age, I'm told. Designed by a dipstick.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps it's taken 20 years of experiments ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris