Remove black polish from brown shoes

Whats the best way to remove blobs of black liquid shoe polish which have dripped onto brown leather shoes?

Reply to
Wesley

In message , Wesley writes

Angle grinder

Reply to
geoff

I don't think the liquid shoe polish penetrates leather to any great extent; I would start with white spirit, then try whatever organic solvents you have to hand: acetone (nail varnish remover), MEK (cellulose thinners), meths, IPA (rubbing alcohol).

Reply to
newshound

That was 2009; last year was pressure washer (might be better in this case). What are we going for this year, BTW?

Reply to
PeterC

WD40 of course!

Reply to
Peter Watson

DO NOT use cellulose thinners. It will likely strip all colour from the leather. (Did for me)

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

I presume teh OP doesn't have a stock of solvents, or would have tried them. I'd try paraffin first, or white spirit.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Don't use solvents!

Solvents will dissolve the stain and make it mobile, thus encouraging it to spread and soak in.

A better approach is to scrape mechanically, so that you remove the black wax without spreading it in further. Work gently, and try not to work it further into the leather.

If you then switch to a solvent approach, you need to work inwards with the spot to avoid spreading it, and to have a clean, dry paper towel (or cotton bud) to absorb the dirty solvent, rather than the solvent carrying the stain into the leather.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

One of these maybe?

Tim Downie

Hot melt glue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Air compressors + many, many tools.

My toolshed currently runneth over. Air tools are just so cheap compared to electrical ones.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sonic screwdriver?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Cool, it seems to do everything. But the cheap Chinese clone that I bought at W H Smugs is clearly broken, it just makes a noise and flashes a blue light.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What?

Reply to
PeterC

This assumes it is a stain! I agree that "shoe dyes" are stains, but the black liquids seem to me to be more like a paint, i.e. an inert pigment in some sort of resin dissolved in solvent. I judge that from the way they don't seem very effective at changing the colour of scuffed areas, other than by masking.

Reply to
newshound

Dr Who?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's your answer. The new version has a green light, which is needed to work with the new, upgraded, TARDIS. The blue ones are no longer compatible.

Reply to
John Williamson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

Hoist.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well bugger me. They actually do make ones that work as a normal screwdriver.

And it has a green light!

Reply to
ARWadsworth