Remove back door lock?

I want to replace a back door lock and handle, but there is no key. Handles are off OK. Will the brass coloured mechanism come out if I bash it, or, as I fear, do I have to drill somewhere? Picture is at:

[george]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Does this link help, you could damage the mechanism if the `cam` is engaged with the mechanism if you bash it. There should be a screw on the door edge that holds the lock in place.

ss

How to snap it.

ss

thanks, i'll take my molegrips when i next visit...

Euro locks, standardised across Europe, thanks to EU cooperation ?

[george]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

You may have snap resistant locks which would make the process slightly more difficult, it should still work but may require greater force.

Worth veiwing a few utube videos first plenty on the subject.

Reply to
ss

The snap video showed a door with a massive hole for the euro cylinder. It would be much harder to do in the OP's case.

If the cam is stopping the cylinder from being removed, it is possible to drill through where the pins are in the lock. You can then insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the keyhole and turn the lock to line up the cam. The pins are roughly where the top of the key would be (if you had it).

Reply to
GB

George, I enjoyed viewing your photo album on Facebook. Bit worried about the picture of you covered in blood.

Reply to
GB

In the picture it looks as though the screw has already been removed.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It does look that way. Perhaps the lock is stuck, a 'tap' with a hammer should free it.

The replacement should be the same overall length and check the 'cam' is in the same position. This is specified by two numbers. Eg a 50/50 is a 105 mm lock with a central cam. 70/50 is a 125mm lock with an offset cam.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's a Eurolock. The cylinder is held in place by a single longish screw in the edge of the door. You may have to remove a cover plate to get at it. You need the key to align the mechanism before you can get it out. If no key, violence needed. The degree of violence depends on how secure/expensive the lock is. Some are easily forced, others not.

Reply to
harry

You can see from the photo that he's already removed the cover plate. The long screw which holds the Eurolock in place is immediately under the lock bolt. That appears to have been removed, too - in which case the Eurolock should just pull out sideways. Once that's out, the whole lock mechanism can be pulled out from the edge of the door.

If the Eurolock won't come out, maybe the long screw has sheered off, and part of it is still there. I'm not sure how you'd deal with that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, it snapped easily with molegrips as in the youtube video. No need for drilling or hammering

If I'd known it was called a 'Eurolock' i could have googled it !

[george]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

You've clearly never removed one then or forgotten that the OP doesn't have the key.

The key is required to align the lock lever before you can slide the lock barrel out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Does that mean you can open a locked door from the outside by snapping off the euro-cyclinder in the way the video shows?

Reply to
pamela

You normally need the key to put the cam into the correct position before you can remove it.

Reply to
dennis

AIUI, yes, if the cylinder is an older type. They can also be opened by tapping them in a particular way with a blank key in place IIRC, known as bumping. The frightening thing is that there are videos out there describing just how to both snap and bump these locks, so any scrote can see how to do it

. Except that most scrotes aren't that savvy, and would probably just use brute force to smash their way in. Anti-snap and anti-bump anti-drill anti-pick euro locks are available to British Standard EN 1303 (I think), when you should have a kite mark on the end of the cylinder.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I've not removed one without having a key. But I don't recall having the

*use* the key. With the bolt in the unlocked position - as per the photo

- wouldn't the lock lever automatically be in the right position from the last time the key was removed?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes. That's why you fit secure locks and not the cheap ones.

Reply to
dennis

Not recalling isn't the same as not using. ;-)

I've changed about half a dozen euro locks and every one has required the key to adjust the cam position before removal. With the lock unlocked, the cam is offset to one side and has to be rotated by about 30 degrees to allow removal.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Its to stop people swapping locks unless they have the key. You could take the pins out of a lock and swap it for someone else's so any key would work the lock and break in if you could just undo a screw and pull the lock out.

You can do that with mortice locks 8-|

Reply to
dennis