Removal / Installation of gas hob & cooker

Im planning the refit of my Kitchen, which involves moving my low level cooker about 60cm to the right and up to a mid height, and the hob moving about 20cm to the left. Im doing all the work myself, except im getting a Corgi person to do the gaswork.

So that I can do as much pre work as possible, I want to know if I need a Corgi person to disconnect the cooker and hob? As theres a lot of work that needs to be done between removal and installation, I need to make allowances if I need to arrange for two Corgi visits (or possibly three depending on pipework re-routing!)

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Red.

(Reply to newgroup please)

Reply to
Red

A 'competent' person may do gas installation work, if not for reward. Several on this NG have installed whole boilers/combis, including myself.

The answer then is 'yes' AFAIK, you can disconnect the cooker/hob. Of course if you screw up and the house explodes then you'll be in a poor position, because you don't have £1,000,000 liability insurance. Still, life is full of risks, you might choke on a boiled sweet tomorrow.

The question is, do you feel you are competent? See:- Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter. The FAQ for uk.diy is at

fitting FAQ
CH FAQ
Sirett has kindly put a few notes together to help the DIYer. Just off the top of my head, you will need of course to turn the gas off, but you also need to leak test the cap you put on. Be aware of things like static electricity, always best to touch the pipe to equalise potentials before you disconnect it, and be aware that if you use a compression end cap (? probably best for you? ) then if you use PTFE tape there is a thicker orange colour gas grade. Read the FAQ first, DYOR etc.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

If your cooker is free standing then the over-whelming liklihood is that the cooker is connected via a removable bayonet fitting. So removing the cooker should not even be classed 'gas work' in the legal sense.

This should mean that the rerouting of the pipe and (re)installation of the cooker should be one visit (you might have to leave one base unit removable?).

Reply to
Ed Sirett