removable banisters

I will be constructing new banisters (or is it balusters etc) at some point in the future, to replace a boarded in version that looks horrible, It will be the usual spindles etc, up the stairs and on the landing. I thought it might be good to make the whole lot removable, for shifting furniture etc. Anyone done this, or got suitable designs, fixing methods etc. I suppose it would also be good if the newel posts could be removed. This is one of those "while I'm doing it ..." sort of jobs. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Download the instructions from the Richard Burbidge

web site to see how the bannisters fasten to the Newels. It would be possible to make them removable on some ranges if you don't secure the covering pieces too securely.

We had to remove all the spindles from one section to get an old cast iron bath out. It was relatively easy but needs some repainting now they're back in.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The Burbidge Fusion system is entirely held together with screws (quite a lot of them!) and can be dismantled non-destructively if really necessary.

It gives a very 'modern' look to the staircase, if that's what you like. I've used it in my house, and am very happy with it.

Roger Mills

Curse you, you swine!!!!

Wifey wandered in here and read this, followed your damn link, picked up the Burbridge DVD on bannisters in B&Q and now I have another

*easy* job for the summer!

:(((

Reply to
EricP

Why should *you* have the easy job? Give it to *her*!

Reply to
Roger Mills