remote thermometer ideas?

heatbank in an attached barn with attached mechanical temp gauge mounted in/on it.

Would be a *lot* more useful if temp could be checked without going outside and into barn - any suggestions (and sources) for some sort of suitable "remote temp gauge"

- temp range say abt 30 to 90 deg c

- wired is fine tho if cheap wireless acceptable :>)

- (don't fancy the car type umbilical even if accurate....

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

JimK wibbled on Monday 04 January 2010 21:32

Oregon temp/weather gadget with an extra remote sender. I have one - the remote sender doesn't have a great range, but is better with clear line of sight. Does do Min/Max which may be helpful.

There's probably better stuff...

Some RS232 gadget with a temp sensor (can give you hints if that's of any interest). RS232 travels quite well at low bit rates (2400 will do 100's of yards. Jack into PC in house.

?
Reply to
Tim W

Plenty of wireless thermometers about but they are generally enviromental so might not go up to 90C.

One wire sensors are cheap and easy to use, have few and a cheap PC and log what your heatbank is doing. Inputs outputs etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had a trawl on fleabay and these for e.g. :- itemno 260531949471 look ideal - except I would need to extend the cable to abt 5m - any comments on whether that would work or would extending cable by 500% bring other snags into play?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

JimK wibbled on Tuesday 05 January 2010 11:25

Can't be absolutely sure - that could be an analogue sender in which case dodgy long wires may throw the reading out but it will still generally work, or it could be digital (eg 1-wire) and not read at all if it gets unhappy, though 1-wire specifically will easily do 5m - it can do a lot more with decent cable.

However, for 5m, I really don't see a problem. I would deploy some screened twisted pair cable (eg mic cable, STP network cable or any reasonable stuff you can get your hands on). Then suck it and see. Do a calibration check against a known thermometer and if it gets wibbly, try earthing the screen at one end or the other.

Reply to
Tim W

cheers for the thoughts Tim - when the weather improves I'll order one and have a play - especially at that price!

The cable appears to be twin so I'll see what happens and report back.

4 inches of snow by lunch today!!

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK