Remote light switch

for some odd reason the sitting room in our new (to us) house doesn't have any wired in lighting. The previous owners had lots of standard lights etc.. No I don't understand it either.

Now we have sufficient lighting in the room, but it's pretty inconvenient to have to walk into the room in the dark and then find the standard lamp, so I to install a ceiling light. but I really want to avoid running wires down the wall to the switch (Yeah I know I can run trunking etc. But TBH, its years down the redecorating list I imagine, I'd like to avoid looking at it, and there would be a picture rail and the nice Victorian cornice to get past as well.

So I'm looking for some sort of wireless lighting switch that can switch a relay or whatever in the ceiling to turn the light on and off. I'm not looking for a remote control type thing, i'd just leave that lying around the room and not be able to find it in the dark.

any recomendations

Reply to
chris French

Use a pull cord switch.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Rob Morley writes

I have though about that (sorry should have mentioned it in the post), but would prefer the wireless option if possible

Reply to
chris French

Morley

lying

post),

I bet that there has been wiring for a switch in the past. I'd get a cable tracer / metal detector and search round the (door none hinge side) for evidence. It wouldn't surprise me to find rolled conduit that you could pull through.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

lighting switch in Google turns up lots of possibilities.

I think it's a brilliant idea, personally, because you can put the switches anywhere.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I'd look into X10 products. When I was looking for a solution to a similar problem some time ago, I came across remote controls that are designed to be stuck to the wall and look like (American) light switches, rather than being hidden down the back of the sofa. I can't tell you exactly *where* I saw them but Google should help.

It would be easier, and probably more convenient, to have this remote control operate your existing free-standing lights - no need to install a ceiling light. Prepare for a loud "clunk" whenever you switch them on or off, though.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Most would put the main one somewhere accessible from the doorway. ;-_

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of those sound activated gizmo's? Clap your hands twice, or mutter "let there be light!"?

Looking for disused cabling as suggested sounds a good idea though you might find (if it's victorian) it's old unusable stuff (which you might if lucky be able to use to pull through newer). I'd scout around in the floorboards above to find out what kind of cable it is.

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

You are probably thinking of this...

will also need one of these to convert RF X10 to mains borne X10...
you can use lamp or appliance modules on table lamps, such as
professional X10 wired-in modules to switch fixed lighting, such as
It would be easier, and probably more convenient, to have this remote

Appliance modules use relays and can handle larger loads. Some of the lamp modules use triacs and can dim the load.

BTW, I have no connection with Cyberselect -- it was just the first website I could think of which lists all the X10 parts, and I have used them as a supplier.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Um...you could have a spare one somewhere.....

In your pocket? Um...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Nope - down the side of the settee as always. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shouldn't stop Evil describing you as a spammer...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

in this situation I'm pretty sure there isn't, though I did think about it - my cable detector is still stashed in box in the garage right now, and I'm not lifting the bedroom carpet until I have to.

however, it seems that wiring for most electrical stuff was first installed in this house in the 1960's - when it was sold in the 1960's in had been in the same owner ship since the 1920's and still had the range in the kitchen, gas lighting etc.

The previous owners bought it in 1983, I spoke to them about it when viewing the house and they said it had not been there when they bought the house, and they understood it hadn't been wired it at all.

Certainly no evidence of the old rolled conduit anywhere around the house.

Reply to
chris French

How about using a relay? You could put the switch on a bit of bell wire and tape it down the corner of the wall. I know it's not wireless, but the wireless method seems like overkill to me.

Reply to
Rob Morley

There is a product called Easy Switch on page 21 of the latest Contact Electrical (TLC) catalogue which is exactly what you're after. Their website is

John

Reply to
jaylott

I have a customer with a somewhat surreal lighting system in her flat.

Two main rooms - a lounge & a bedroom. No light switch in the bedroom and a two gang switch in the lounge which operates both lights. Its the other side of two door ways away from the bedroom IYSWIM.

Not practicable to wire in another switch for varicose reasons.

Is there a remote control she could use? I've seen one where the remote replaced the switch but cant remember where I saw it or if it worked on a two gang switch.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Andy Hall

bedroom and a

Dave, do a search on X-10 home automation controls. There is a unit that goes behind a switch plate, and another that controls a light. Control is by impressing a switching signal on the mains. I have some of the 13a variety - one turns my kettle on every morning for the last ten years for my morning brew (There is also an X-10 system that uses rf)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Varilight used to do a 2 way dimmer that worked by touch on the wall or via an RF remote control. So you could use the remote in the bedroom. Sorry I dont know a model number.

Reply to
ched999uk