Remote keyboard button

Hi all I have a PC in an upstairs room that runs as a server for the house, and has all our music and any stuff I download to watch on the tv as well as being used for iPlayer. I control it using a mixture of remote desktop and VNC from a laptop. I'd really like to be able to have a pause button (which probably means the space bar) as a tangible thing so that when the phone rings I don't have to fire up the laptop, open the connection and press pause. The PC is a about 20m from the tv and I can run extra cables if necessary. What's the best solution? I only need a single button but I suppose I could set up some sort of KVM set-up and use a small keyboard but I'd really like something that worked with a remote control. Any ideas? TIA Nick

Reply to
nicknoxx

There are a number of USB connected IR remote control that are intended for 'media centre' uses.

e.g. Speed-Link SL-6399 Media Centre Remote Controller

market one as well.

Reply to
Adrian C

You can get remote controls for HTPC (i.e. they look like a TV or PVR remote) that work on 2.4GHz to a USB dongle, provided you haven't got too much WiFi you might find one rated for 20m range, or you could use longish USB cables to get the receiver closer to you.

This query should give suitable results

Andy Burns

I'm pretty sure Windows with Media Centre has the code to do this, as my old Targa desktop Media version (XP) has a wireless remote control that selects, starts, stops and pauses video and audio playback and can control the terrestrial/satellite TV card. However the remote isn't very powerful and wouldn't do 20m range. One metre is more like it. It has a dongle that plugs into a USB port and I think its works on 27 MHz like the old generation cordless phones (??). The dongle might be extendable with a USB cable.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

Something like

dennis

You can use a Wiimote.

Reply to
dennis

A complex arrangement of pulleys and wire going up the stairs, activating a small hammer on a pivot at the far end which will press a key on the media PC's own keyboard when the wire is tugged?

(sorry, all the right answers were already taken ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

googling on my own Targa PC's remote ( 5+ years old) shows its ATi system is available independently (in the USA) with a TV card.

claim the remote works through walls. Probably depends on the wall, maybe best to avoid granite and reinforced concrete.

Reply to
therustyone

No, that must be incorrect as there must be a better answer involving one or more of the following:

gaffer tape, WD40, angle grinder

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , The Other Mike writes

Plus a spot of superglue?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No, talk to someone who maintains traditional pipe organs and they'll build you a pneumatic system with thin lead pipes [as used for remote consoles in pre-electric days]

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Through walls to another room?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Through walls to another room?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Bluetooth works through walls.

Reply to
dennis

I frequently do bowling from the kitchen when I pop out to make tea. You can use it for any game that doesn't use the sensor bar.

Reply to
dennis

nicknoxx :

Is this small enough?

Mike Barnes

Thanks for all the replys. In the end, because I've just got a new Android phone, I installed Gmote and used that. It connects to a Gmote server on the, er, server and will allow you to play video or music on a remote machine. It stays connected when the phone's on standby and starts up really fast and I didn't need to install any new wires. Result!

Reply to
nicknoxx