Remote controlled sockets instead of low level lighting circuit. Recommendations?

I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Not a recommendation from experience, but I recall something from enOcean.

"batteryless switch".

Among others ..

MK Echo series

have plug sockets in the range.

Reply to
Adrian C

We have a Byron set here which works well (had it for years so doubtless the model will be obsolete now); the hand-held remote is blu-tacked to the side of the door frame near the light switch, which works for me!

"Wireless... batteryless... Self-powered: uses innovative technology to ?harvest? energy"

How does that work, then? Can't see any more details in the brochure

Reply to
Lobster

> "Wireless... batteryless... Self-powered: uses innovative technology to

Look at the enocean link you snipped?

Reply to
Andy Burns

>> They have plug sockets in the range.

These have a special requirement before you order any. A large bank balance. £385 for one 400W switch?

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
charlieviking

Reply to
Charlie

Not quite that bad:-

for the receiver, and £118 or so elsewhere for the bit that goes on the wall. In a commercial setting, the extra cost of the wall unit may well be saved by not having to run any cabling to it.

And please, don't top post, it confuses the locals. ;-)

>> They have plug sockets in the range.

Reply to
John Williamson

My bad - a typo. Meant to be £85 for one switch! But by the time you add the controller, etc. you won't be so very far off £385.

Reply to
polygonum

Well, I might as well get a low level lighting circuit put in for that amou= nt of money!

Might end up having to do with a remote instead of a switch.

Reply to
Charlie

We just use the plug in ones, most are behind book cases etc anyway. Think ours are Byron, about £30 a set of 4 from B&Q. Had them for years.

B&Q also do these remote sockets under £30

The Medway Handyman

lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Whilst I have not used their plug in remote sockets I have recently used some LightwaveRF wireless remote kit - a remote wall switch, a hand held remote control and a couple of inline relays to control a downlighter setup.

Their product range does include plug in remote sockets and some replacement 1 and 2 gang remote sockets

appear to be updating their range to include a controller that will accept switching signals from smart phones.

Reply to
rbel

thread.

Reply to
rbel

Think I might have found something more reasonably priced:

need to check that the switches work with the sockets.

Reply to
Charlie

Same here, set of three from Asda for a fiver IIRC. Work fine within the= same room but not out to the garage about 15m away and through a couple =

of stone walls. Slight niggle is that they need setting up as to which button controls which switched socket after a power cut. Manual on/off switch on the sockets as well.

Now what would be nice is a remote on/off socket with built in time switch so you can have something come on/off based on time but also overide it, either way, remotely.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like you need X10 or something like it.

Reply to
Huge

Just had a google, there isn't much out there but Byron do Homeeasy stuff. Switched or dimmable plugin receivers and a timer remote control =

with timer and on/off control of quite a range of units, including relay= only boxes. The timer remote is about =A315 and the switched sockets a tenner.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheers, they seem really reasonable. Also got the option of sitting the swi= tch inside the mounting box, although will need to be 35mm deep.

Reply to
Charlie

If you've got an iPhone...

Belkin WeMo Switch Puts your home electronics at your fingertips.

Belkin's WeMo Switch and its companion app use your home Wi-Fi network to let you turn electronic devices on or off from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch wherever you are.

Works with your existing Wi-Fi router Modular system ? add more WeMo switches any time Control as many or as few devices as you want Operates over Wi-Fi and mobile Internet, at home and away Intuitive, easy setup and use Put your home electronics on a schedule

idea if available for any other platforms.

Reply to
polygonum

I cannot wait to see what is fitted at the new build I am currently working on. I only fit the cables and I have nothing to do with the final connections. This was the last one I worked on

the new house should be higher spec.

Reply to
ARW