Remote controlled mains switch

I have 4 500w flood lamps on the outside of the house. The switch for these was installed inside the airing cupboard on the first floor ( very inconvenient ). I would like to replace the switch with something that could be remotely controlled from both inside and outside the house .

any ideas.

so far I have only found remote controlled plugs.

Parts

Reply to
christopher

2kW of lighting! What are you doing making movies?

Good leave 'em switched off. You probably think that level of light is required for "security" but all it does is screw up your night vision and give really nice deep black shadows for the baddies to hide in. For security it's much better to have a low level of general light that still illuminates the scroat at windows or doors but doesn't give him any where to hide if they hear someone coming. Oh and the low level of light doesn't generate as much light pollution either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not to mention using 2 kw's of power to heat the garden.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you really don't want to rewire using a plug/socket, you could use an X10 contactor fitted in a mini CU, and a wireless remote:

a cheap solution, but does the job and could integrate with other home-automation products.

Richard.

reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Reply to
Richard Russell

The electricity bill would have me weeping. We've got an OWL monitor and it's fab for watching what's using the eleccy.

Reply to
mogga