Remote control relay?

SWMBO is pushing to have the DVD and satellite box inside a cupboard with solid doors under the TV despite the fact that the remotes then won't work! I was wondering if such a thing as a relay exists that would pick up the signal from the remotes and relay it inside the cupboard?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

How about a small vent/slit in the front top somewhere disguised, and then two mirrors internally mounted in a periscope configuration?

Reply to
Phil Everett

Have a look at this:-

Howard Neil

You could easily manufacture a device to do this for you. It would involve some Meccano strips, a few Meccano double angle brackets, a Meccano axle, a couple of Meccano collars with grub screws, some springs or elastic bands, and lots of string threaded out between the doors. One piece of string for each button you moght want to press.

Or put a remote opener on the door of the cabinet - open door; change channel; close door again.

Or you could just tell her to "Go fetch the remote".

Can we come and watch, please? ... and possibly open a book??

:o)

Reply to
Ian

Speaking as a SNTVB I'd say that's the perfect solution. Shove the boxes in the cupboard; close the doors; silence.

Bliss!

Of course that's easy for me to say since I don't have to face the wrath of your SHMBO! Would a nice infra red filter 'porthole' ruin the look of the doors?

Nick Odell

In message , MuddyMike writes

Umm.. Isn't trapped heat likely to be an issue?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks Howard, marital bliss can resume:-)

Looks like repeater was the magic search word.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Our TV cabinet is glass fronted, so there are no remote problems, but I did wonder about heat. There are two holes 3" in diameter at diagonally opposite corners of the back for cables to enter and leave and for airflow. So far a Sky plus box, a normal sky box, a DVD player, a remote camera box and a Hauppage MVP have managed to co-exist in there for many years, with no failures other than the cheap DVD players that last about

12 months (but they do that anyway with young kids!)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes.

Google for "remot extenders". I have one in the kitchen to allow me to drive the stereo in the sitting room. (There are speakers in the kitchen, also.)

Reply to
Huge

In message , MuddyMike writes

Be a man, tell her "NO !"

Reply to
geoff

Erm, how do you get a dvd in then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That is exactly how I used to change the remote track points when I had a Hornby OO railway set. Worked fine.

Reply to
Davey

I guess I will have to get down on my hands and knees as I do now, but with the added complication of having to open the cabinet doors. Its such a hard life keeping loved ones happy!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

save some effort.