Remote control quadcopter to inspect flat roof

I've got a loft conversion with a flat roof that's coming up to ten years old. I'm guessing it's got a fair bit of life left in it, but I'll probably want to have a look at it every few years so I can renew it before it fails.

I've been thinking about a remote control quadcopter with a video camera, as it'll probably cost less that scaffolding (there's no way I'm using a ladder). But they seem to fall into two categories: something serious costing over 500, which is too expensive; and something costing less than 100 which looks like a toy. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

There's no hurry, so I've got the option of waiting for a year or two for the market to mature. But I wonder if anyone had used this technology for looking at flat roofs, facias etc, and whether it's worth considering.

Reply to
Caecilius

If you separate the camera from the craft you might be onto a thing. A lot of people seem to use the drone to carry their mobile phone on video record ...

I wonder how many people (and I raise my hand first here :) ) forget they carry a full HD recorder (admittedly of questionable performance) in their pocket.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Unnecessarily complex. Long home made "selfie stick" is all you need. Can you see me holding it at the bottom left?

Graham.

Great excuse to buy one :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've seen a quad in operation and I would say it could be a very useful tool.

Depending on the height and access, a webcam on a very long pole might also work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Send a camera (or phone) up on a tethered helium balloon?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Good point. I only need twenty feet or so. Maybe I'm overthinking things, or looking for toys.

Reply to
Caecilius

Whilst I'm inclined to agree ...

... the OP wishes to inspect a flat roof. How do you get a camera on a selfie stick across the flat roof from 20' below? Gallows arm, maybe but I have a feeling that might be getting a bit tricky to control.

As for using a quadcopter it might be wise to look at the regulations regarding their use. Maybe a gallows arm is the better solution...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The image was a still from this video

The camera was a £10 dashcam off Ebay, and the stick a cheap fishing pole with a length of plastic waste pipe at the bottom end.

Reply to
Graham.

Possibly worth while checking the regulations.

Although they are ideal for checking your own property (and taking high level selfies of you in your own garden) they could well be violating privacy legislation if you drift over next door.

From

"What are the limitations?

In order to make sure UAVs and manned aircraft are working in separate airspace, there are a number of limitations placed on UAV use.

These are the main ones to keep in mind: ? The maximum altitude is 400 feet (120 metres) ? The maximum distance from the operator is 500 metres ? The minimum visibility needs to be 5 km ? UAV must be flown in line of sight of the operator ? UAVs cannot be flown at night without special permission ? Permission must be obtained from the owner of the take-off point ? UAVs cannot be flown within 50 metres of structures, vehicles or people that are not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft."

The last one is an interesting point - if correct it implies that you can't fly over anyone else's property nor within 50 metres of anyone else's property.

Unless your house is out in the sticks surrounded by public land then this could be an issue.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

You've taken the term 'home movie' to a new height of literalness. :)

Reply to
GB

Oblique view, coupled with the extra reach caused by the droop at the end of the fishing pole due to the camara's weight. Ideally the lens would be more wide-angle, and the camara would have more resolution than mine.

Graham.

I am afraid of heights, so can't use a ladder.

Once I could see precisely where the debris was in the gutter, I realised that by removing the bathroom DG transom and reaching up, I could remove the blockage myself.

Reply to
Graham.

The CAA has published regulations and basically it is:

1) Over land you control (own or have owner's permission)

2) Line of sight - you must be able to see the aircraft

3) There are some special provision if near airports.

2 I guess is bendable, or you could just stand back over the road so you can see it.

It's all surprisingly reasonable common sense.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you're scared of ladders why not ring someone local and send them up with a camera? In my aerial rigging days I often took roof pictures at the customer's request.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just don't try flying it in Paris

Nightjar

"Al Jazeera said the team had been filming a report on the "recent mystery drones"."

What?!? They used a drone to film unauthorized drones? How stupid can you get?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well, officially there are laws about where one can fly them, so it might be worth checking hese out in case of dodgy neighbours getting the law involved.

I think you tube has lots of videos taken by thesethings, so it might be worth watching some to see what is possible.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and

if you want to do it now (and they agree that what you want is legal).

Of course, if you are also after bragging rights when DIYers start to compare the range and size of their tools.....

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

CAA guidance is here:

`for Valuable considertaion` is point where you really become of interest a nd require training and licencing.

Building inspection is likley to get revolutionised by drones. As long as n ot legislated out of existance by Phil Phlyaway`a Phantom foolery.

Otherwise the rules are there to protect peoples privacy and safety, compar ed to the US FAA`s attitude to quad/drones/uav`s our CAA is an absolute mod el of tolerance and sense.

As someone who is getting into quads after no previous interest in R/C anyt hing or computer gamnes experience, they are easy to get started with but p roper control is a practice thing, some of the problems are being caused by people with GPS locked DJI Phantoms that are great until GPS loses lock a nd then the `pilot` has no experience of manual control. Flying nose in tak es a lot of practice, like driving a car in reverse at speed.

Cheapest quad with a camera Syma X5-C, find it on ebay/amazon/banggood for under 50 quid, camera isn`t great but almost useable at price. Limited lift ing ability but it will lift an 808 #16 keychain cam for improved quality.

Cheapest quad at all, Cheerson CX-10 , under 15 quid. too small to lift any thing , a lot of fun, X5 is easier to fly for a beginner.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby