Remote Control

I wonder if anyone has any helpful advice about the following?

I have an external floodlight for the back garden, which I've connected from a feed within the airing cupboard (it was about as best as I could do without ripping floorboards up). However it's a tad inconvenient having to go upstairs to the airing cupboard to switch it on and off.

I'm thinking of replacing this floodlight with another soon, and am wondering whether I can change the wiring arrangement as follows. There's a 13A socket on a bedroom wall which I could take a fused spur off of and drill straight thru to the floodlight on the rear wall, but this still leaves the inconvenience of having to go to the bedroom to switch the light on and off.

I can't use the cavity to run a cable downstairs (which I know isn't legit with the 16th edition anyway) because we've got cavity wall insulation in there.

Anyone aware of a remote switch which could do the job? Obviously some sort of wireless device might do, but there might also be a switch that would use the house mains wiring to transmit the signal.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

have some 13amp wireless plug adapters and remote controller currently on special offer, if they may be of use

dg

Reply to
dg

Have a look around this site PoP:

may be of some help.

Reply to
BigWallop

"PoP" wrote | I'm thinking of replacing this floodlight with another soon, and am | wondering whether I can change the wiring arrangement as follows. | There's a 13A socket on a bedroom wall which I could take a fused spur | off of and drill straight thru to the floodlight on the rear wall, but | this still leaves the inconvenience of having to go to the bedroom to | switch the light on and off. | I can't use the cavity to run a cable downstairs (which I know isn't | legit with the 16th edition anyway) because we've got cavity wall | insulation in there.

If the bedroom is directly above the downstairs room you could take a short cable from the FCU (through some plastic minitrunking when it crosses the skirting) to below the bedroom floor and have a pull-cord switch mounted on the ceiling of the room below.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Looks ideal - thanks!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

snip

I expect you've already considered it, but would it suit your requirements to fit a PIR-driven floodlight (or wire a separate PIR into your existing light)? That way you could leave the light switched 'on' permanently, but it would only be illuminated when there's something moving...

David

Reply to
David