Remember those iron-and-lead hammer-in masonry fixings?

Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Many thanks,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

I can remember seeing them in a garden centre just a few years ago, if that helps...

DAvid

Reply to
Lobster

I bought some about a year ago but decided to make more myself using strips of lead and galvanised nails.

Try google for: lead vine eyes or hammer in vine eyes

mark

Reply to
Mark

Probably various names but perhaps "lead headed nails" as at

neverwas

The Medway Handyman

Used to be the GPO's external fixing of choice! [ well up int north o't country anyhow ] our local ironmongers [yep, still got 'em, fork 'andles and all] still stocks them, sells them by the pound!!!

Reply to
grumpyat

on the roof to the wall as it drops down to the living room.

John

Reply to
John

Got a few left in a box in the workshop - Hiatts is the name on the box. Donkeys years old. David

Reply to
DavidM

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:02:35 -0800 (PST),it is alleged that snipped-for-privacy@eanx100.co.uk spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Down here in the South too, I had been looking for them for years, never thought of gardening suppliers, many thanks to all (including the OP) who contributed to this thread :-)

Reply to
Chip

BT (well GPO then) used to use them for fixing cables down walls outdoors.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Indeed. They were colloquially known as "lead lugs", but the official title was "Nails, Cable Fixing".

Reply to
Frank Erskine