Releasing cyanoacrylate from a thread

Any clues about making a cyanoacrylate-bonded nut easier to undo?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Heat from a soldering iron or blowlamp and if they fail use a dremel or an angle grinder.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I want a nondestructive method, preferably chemical. Heat is not an option.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In message , Gib Bogle writes

Heat?

Reply to
geoff

Acetone seems to be the thing. Not sure how easy it is to get, but it is a debinder and it should creep in there quite well.

(I know nothing except how to ask Wikipedia).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I got that from Wikipedia too :) I'll try it.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

acetone (nail varnish remover). or nitromethane if you can get it. Only

2 things that work..

soak if possible

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

fibre glass suppliers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some Pound Shop superglue packs contain nine squillion mini-tubes of superglue and one tube of debonder. It might be a cheap way to get the small quantity you need.

No idea about the chemical it contains: the tube I have here says debonder on the front but just repeats the how to use superglue instructions on the reverse.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I thought Loctite used to do a product to do this?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

some Nail varnish remover has acetone in it

Reply to
Gary

Foam cleaner ? the stuff for removing uncured PU expanding foam (eg

) ? is mostly acetone.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Nail polish remover contains around 70% acetone (unless it's acetone free!)

Reply to
Jon Connell

I've always bought pure acetone from a chemist, numark branded i believe, couple of quid for a 250ml bottle,

you have to ask for it, and the chemist may ask what you want it for... so don't go in with a 2 foot long beard, the bed sheet wrapped around you and ask in a funny accent :)

Reply to
Gazz

ote:

Don't breathe the fumes!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes, but I'm not sure that works, ie it would evaporate befoer it penetrated down the thread far enough. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

that's why you need to be creative and build a more or less vapour tight enclosure in which the thing can soak for 24 hours

tube and modelling clay springs to mind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"super Glue" solvent is available. (Intended for fingers etc stuck together.)

Reply to
harry

All very well, but how are you going to get it to seep down in between the space which is already filled with adhesive?

Reply to
geoff

But what removes fully cured PU?

Have had some on a shirt which has been at the bottom of a pile for about five years now...

Enough of a smear to make it unwearable as is.

Reply to
polygonum