Releasing compact fluorescent lamp

En el artículo , tim..... escribió:

Doesn't seem to be a problem here (Firefox 28.0 on Win8 32-bit), but there's a fork of ABP that apparently uses a lot less memory. Have a look for uBlock.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've been using RequestPolicy, but don't like it. Everthing yuo obviously w ant it blocks by default, needing approval clicks, and there seems no way t o set that option more sensibly. Also when presented with a long list of bl ocked elements you can't tick which ones you want, each click causes a page reload.

Why some sites seem determined to lose a percentage of traffic from all the ir crap I don't know. Hopefully evolution will get rid of them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't care about trackers

it's f***ing flashing adverts I want rid of

tim

Reply to
tim.....

En el artículo , tim..... escribió:

ABP ot uBlock are what you want, then. Make sure you untick the box "Allow some non-obtrusive advertising" in the ABP options.

I also maintain my own hosts file which redirects most ad-flinger's domains to /dev/null, aka 127.0.0.1

Never see any adverts.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Reply to
Huge

How long is your file? I've started doing this recently but there are so many domains I gave up adding them. It was a chore.

PS just seen this:

Reply to
Tom Raider

janus (root) ~ $ grep -v ^# /etc/hosts | wc -l

15494

I have 15494 non-comment entries in my hosts file. Most of them are advertising sites. I started with one downloaded from t'internet and have been adding to it for years.

Yep, that's the kind of thing I started with.

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Tom Raider escribió:

Errr. :)

[me@box ~]$ cat hosts | grep 127.0.0.1 | wc -l 17388

You can download ad-flinger's hosts files from other sources and combine them to make a larger one. Use a tool such as *nix 'uniq' to remove duplicates.

I started off with Mike Skallas' hosts file years ago, them added the one from Spybot Search and Destroy. From there it was just a little tweaking.

My own hand-added entries number just 5; I've not needed to add or remove any entries for a long time.

Also have a google for:

EasyList Peter Lowe's Ad server list EasyPrivacy Malware Domains Fanboy's enhanced tracking list Dan Pollock's hosts file hpHost's ad and tracking servers MVPS Hosts Spam404

add all or none of these as you see fit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tom Raider escribió:

No good to me, it blocks g***se.cx :)