Relays for use with controller

Hoping an electronics whizz can help with this.

I plan to use a plc wuth 24v outputs to control various 240v appliances upto 9amps.

Please can someone recommend a suitable relay from maplins (I have some vouchers left...). I've looked on the website but I cannot decide which relays will do the job.

Many thanks

Matthew

PS Thanks to all those you helped with my earlier central heating problem - much appreciated.

Reply to
Matthew Humphreys

Their round base plug in 'octal' relays - JG59 @ 3.99 are an industry standard available near everywhere. You can buy a screw terminal base which makes wiring easy. They're DPDT and rated at (sic) "2400 VA resistive, 280 W resistive" which last one I'd guess they mean inductive. They draw 51mA.

If you're in no rush, check out Electronic Components on Ebay - relays there are much cheaper than retail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Maplin NG82D should be just about right - as long as the PLC will power the relay coil - but since all it needs is 15mA it should be fine.

Reply to
Grunff

Cheers both.

Had a quick look on ebay and found a few relays, but didn't know which ones would do the job!

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Humphreys

I presume that this is a transistor output. Don't forget that you may need a reverse connected diode across the relay coil to stop the back EMF from frying the transistors when the coil is deenergised. Some relays have these fitted; some relay bases include them; some bases accept plug in diodes and some you'll just have to connect across the terminals.

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

Good thought Steve, but the outputs are relay, so my life is simpler!

Cheers,

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Humphreys

snipped-for-privacy@one-web.com (Matthew Humphreys) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.onetel.net.uk:

I think Steve's thought is still good; it is quite possible to weld reed relays shut with the spark from a relay coil that it's controlling (don't ask me how I know)

And it doesn't do any contact much good to be often breaking inductive DC loads; it's just good practice to fit diodes. And 1N4006s or similar ar about a penny a dozen!

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

These might be some use:-