Relative Humdity ideal range

Got a little condensation problem.

Before I look into toe problem I would be interested to know the ideal "Relative Humidity" (RH) % readings

I know this is dependant of the location. I'm in the south of the UK. Have seen that the recommended finger is in the range 40-60%, but its raining and with the doors open I am reading 67%.

Thanks

Reply to
newbie

Relative Humidity readings are notoriously innacurate, what instrument are you using? Tom

Reply to
Tom

Are you sure? Not usually a problem in summer, when temperature variations between inside and out are small. What are the symptoms?

Reply to
stuart noble

To reduce cndensation to a mimimum you need to have the temperature of the coldest surface above the dew point, which you can calculate from air temp and RH, but I forget how.. Google?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use a Psychometric chart? Tom

Reply to
Tom

steamed up windows in the morning but yes only in the winter

"stuart noble"

Reply to
newbie

Reply to
xavier

A fallacious argument, I suggest. The condensation forming on your single glazed windows is only going to remove a small fraction of the water vapour from the air in the room. All other things being equal, whether or not you get condensation forming on the walls isn't going to depend much on whether or not it's forming on the windows. If adding double glazing makes the wall condensation worse it's probably because the new window frames are much more draught-proof and ventilation has been reduced. OTOH better insulation should make the room surfaces warmer and reduce the likelihood of condensation.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Indeed.

The solution too to much moisture in the air is improved ventilation. A kitchen extractor, and a humidstat control bathroom extractor do it for us.

Anyway to answer the original post, isn't the comfortable level of RH about 60%

Reply to
chris French

Just to correct one point I have double glazing, which had the old pipe(hair) draft excluders. When I moved in I replaced them with a newer rubber /plastic type as I could feel air entering from round the windows. Also this greatly reduced the noise levels.

I have an idea this is what caused the problem.

I really dont want to put the old draft excluders back, as the noise/drafts will return.

Reply to
newbie