reinstating fireplace

Hi, I have unbricked a fireplace I bricked up 6 years ago. I would like to ask whats needed to fully reinstate it, it will be solid fuel. used occasionally. at the moment I have a 18" X 24" hole in the wall, do I just require a concrete fireback thingy with sides? or do I need to install a damping type thing? I will be having it swept before use obviously, chimeny was in use by previous owners, red brick and unlined. I dont see the need for going to the extent of lining it as it has been used for 40 years without and thats how they were constructed. thanks

Reply to
Staffbull

Staffbull,

Depends on whether it's going to heat water or not.

Minimum requirements (no water heating):

Plain burr, firebasket, fret, tiled surround, 'asbestos' cord (probably fibreglass cord now), tin of fire cement, probably a few bricks to pack the hole along with some sand and cement.

If you want to heat water (no CH):

Then you'll need to add a back boiler with (cut-away burr instead of a plain one), a combination direct cylinder and some pipe work.

If you want CH:

Then stick something like a Parkray high output boiler in the opening with the corresponding indirect cylinder, radiators, pump and all the pipework etc.

Please note that all this is from memory - I may have forgotten something and names and methods may have changed since I was last involved in this sort of thing many years ago - but I'm sure that someone (TMH) will correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Hi thanks, no water heating just open fire. Whats a burr?

Reply to
Staffbull

Staffbull,

Go here:

(This will link to - FireTile Limited)

Scroll down and click on: Solid Fuel Fire Backs and Bricks

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

You will need a basket if burning wood and firebricks if burning coal. If burning both you will have to find a compromise I suppose

I'm not an expert but regularly cursed my firebricked grate which didnt burn wood at all well and was so big that it needed loads of coal to get a good coal fire

Thankfully it is now history

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:   (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Anna,

That's where the old burr comes in. Its one piece reduces the size of the opening, is fire resistant and creates a proper air-flow path under and through the basket to the get the wood or coal to burn properly - along with proper room ventilation and chimney construction.

It's surprising how many times I have gone to solve fire grate problems and have found the room to be almost devoid of airflow because the occupants had draught proofed the room where the fire grate was - and I can still clearly recall the verbal abuse I used to get when I suggested that they remove some of the draught proofing or fit an over-door, inter-room air vent to get the air flow back.

And that was even after I had proved the cause by simply opening the room door a little - all great fun at the time!

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Staffbull coughed up some electrons that declared:

Aside from all the other good advice, might be worth doing a smoke test.

I just exposed the brick on my chimney (the unplastered bit under the upstairs floor). I noticed the mortar wasn't so great - looked like some small gaps between some of the bricks. Doesn't matter for me because I'm going to line mine for a stove, but if you are going to use the chimney as nature intended, it might be a good idea to verify it doesn't leak.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

thanks, will do, the sweep should be able to do this I would have thought?

Reply to
Staffbull

Staffbull coughed up some electrons that declared:

They do:

's not a recommendation BTW - just what google pulled up.

Either that, or lob one of these in the fireplace:

difficulty is I suspect you'd need to get an updraft going first or you'll just fill the house with smoke anyway. I guess burning a bit of coal or charcoal for 30 mins would work, just to get things warmed up.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S