Regulations on switches and sockets near a sink

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a regulation on the minimum distance between a plug socket or light switch and a sink (water supply).

I am relocating my sink and it would be near a socket and switch and I want to know if there is anything I should be aware of..

Cheers,

James

Reply to
JGralton

There's no hard and fast regulation, but there is a generally accepted recommendation that wiring accessories should not be closer than 300 mm to the edge of a sink or drainer, measured horizontally along the wall behind. Similarly the height of sockets above a worktop should should be at least 150 mm, measured to the centre-line.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Cheers,

What about if the light switch is above the sink drainer does the same

300mm vertical distance still apply?

Cheers,

James

Andy Wade wrote:

Reply to
JGralton

Try to apply some sence, the worst case is it likely to get splashed, or can a kettle lead plugged in get dropped in the water?

Reply to
James Salisbury

Avoid putting a light switch directly over a draining board if at all possible. But if you must, and you're not constrained by Part M, then normal switch would be around 1.4 m, so you'll be circa 400 mm clear of worktop height, which ought to be OK.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It isn't a rule, just a guideline. You are allowed to use common sense instead. Basically, will it get splashed? Will any leads (if it is a socket) dangle in the sink?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle