Regulations for fitting a Gas cooker.

Can anyone tell me (or point me to) the regulations covering gas supplies to free standing cookers in the UK? This is for domestic use.

What I have now is a 15mm copper pipe coming up through the kitchen floor by the edge of a wall. The pipe is secured to the wall with metal clips (screwed in to the wall) and goes up 3 feet. At the end of the pipe is the socket that I plug the hose coming out of the cooker into. It's all very secure, just exposed.

There's no shielding around the pipe and the cooker is stood right next to it however the pipe never gets hot, even when the oven is on.

Next to the cooker is a kitchen unit so the pipe is kind of behind this and the cooker so it's not in a position to recieve a knock from anything. You can just see it at the back of the gap between the unit and the cooker.

It's been like this for years and is quite safe but I am wondering whether there are any regs that demand double shielding for exposed gas pipes or require the cooker to be a certain distance from the socket etc?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Lee Conway

In article , Lee Conway writes

This sounds totally normal, mine was like this until we replaced it with a built in cooker. No doubt Ed will be along shortly with the official line.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Sounds ok

All covered by gas installation and use regulations also refer to instruction manual.

The rubber hose should hang free but not touch the floor, the baynet fitting should be pointing downwards and the cooker should have an anti tilt braket to the floor or be chained to the wall at the top. A space of 750mm should be above the cooker with hoods cupboards etc

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Room must not contain a bath or shower (!). Room must have a door, window or other opening direct to outside air. Room must have a volume greater than 10m^3 (or 5m^3 plus 50cm^2 permanent vent).

Unless other wise stated. 28mm each side from combustible materials.

150mm each side at or above the pan supports from combustible materials (IIRC), This is easy to be caught out on if the cooker is lower than the work tops to the side.
Reply to
Ed Sirett