Regulations

Hi I'm new to the forum and hope you can provide advice.

I recently moved to a house with a Worcester 280 Combi boiler.

The heating is proving difficult to control as it relies o thermostatic radiator valves and no room stat is fitted. Seems prett expensive too as the boiler runs much more than it needs to.

Anyway, can I fit a room stat myself (the job seems straightfoward an there is provision on the control board by removing a wire link an wiring the stat in), or do I need to get an approved person to do th work? Part L seems to refer to new installations.

As there will be mains power to the stat, is this classed as a ne installation under part P of building regs?

Many thanks

-- Tony 9-5

Reply to
Tony 9-5

Its easy to do.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This is a newsgroup, despite what diybanter would have you believe.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Yes central heating controls are notifiable under part P.

In practice it's most unlikely there would be any repercussions to simply ignoring the regs and DIY-ing it (assuming you wire it up safely and correctly), unlike say replacing a CU or rewiring a house which might attract attention and awkward questions when you came to sell.

As to the type of stat you might consider a programmable thermostat which lets you vary the temperature at different times of day and days of week e.g. warmer in evening than daytime, cool but not off if it gets really cold in the night. The Honeywell CM907s (at about £45 from Heating Controls Online) are the user-friendliest I've found, although the larger Horstmann one from Screwfix is not bad for about £30. Honeywell also do wireless versions of the CM907 for about £90-100 which allow you to position the sensor/control box in the best place regardless of cable runs. They also do 1-day versions of the CM907s called CM901s and screwfix do the wired version of this for about £43.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The Hosrtmann wireless for about £70 form screwfix is a good unit and can save a lot of wiring.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

A programmable room stat would be a good choice. It will take the place not only of a stat, but does the job of timer as well.

Part L would probably require that a stat be fitted should the boiler get replaced... Not sure if there is an impact on an existing install

It probably is notifiable under part P. However this is one of those cases where "doing the right thing" (i.e. paying a building notice fee etc) will make a very significant addition to the cost (i.e. more than the cost of the stat), and will bring no dicernable benefit to anyone that I can see.

Reply to
John Rumm