Regs for LV downlighters in bathroom

This has to be an FAQ but sorry, have trawled around but can't find the answer!

SWMBO has decreed that the refurbed bathroom will be illuminated with downlighters; I'm going for LV ones. Question is, do I need special IP44-rated ones for those going in the ceiling (as opposed to the shower cubical)? Ceiling is 2.2 - 2.4m high (so Zones 2 and 3?). I suppose what I'm unclear about is whether it makes any difference using LV rather than 240V lights?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

If you use 240 volt they should be through an RCD according to the manufactures so easier to use LV.

Reply to
9100DN OWNER

And don't forget that from 1/1/2005 - any electrical work in a bathroom (or kitchen) has to be either carried out by an authorised person, or notified to the local authority for subsequent checking to be carried out !!!! (?)

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Erm - I've already said I'm using LV.

Won't be a problem as I plan on starting the work on 31 Dec 2004 ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

As does LV lighting anywhere, except for prewired sets.

Reply to
John Armstrong

I used bog standards ones in mine except in the wet room.

BCO never commented.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What constitutes 'prewired' I wonder..... could be some interesing possibilities for regs avoidance....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Indeed you did start it then. We all distinctly remember you posting about this before then, don't we.

Any military type will tell you a good job is always lots of planning followed a short sharp action. The number of electrical jobs in the planning stage must be millions.

Reply to
Mike

for regs

The full phrase is "Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets", so I would guess the CE marked bit might rule that out.

Reply to
John Armstrong

The statement answered this question below or did you forget about it

"I suppose what I'm unclear about is whether it makes any difference using LV rather than 240V lights?

Reply to
9100DN OWNER

No.

It means I know there are issues pertaining to the use of 240V lights in the bathroom, but that I wasn't clear whether these issues extend to 12V.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You can buy sheets of "CE" stickers from many places :-)

Reply to
Peter Parry

There are some issues - you need special extra glass in front of the bulb in areas that can get splashes.

If in doubt use those - they are not expensive and are available everywhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:09:06 +0000, Peter Parry strung together this:

Some equipment I've bought in the past come with the CE stickers seperately for you to install yourself.

Reply to
Lurch

"Peter Parry" wrote | John Armstrong wrote: | >The full phrase is "Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than | >pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets", so I would guess the CE | >marked bit might rule that out. | You can buy sheets of "CE" stickers from many places :-)

And if 'someone' pre-assembled the system, for example, putting all the pieces together on the supplier's premises before taking them to the cash desk for purchase :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mike" wrote | Indeed you did start it then. We all distinctly remember you posting | about this before then, don't we.

Faked headers and Googlegroups is your friend

| Any military type will tell you a good job is always lots of planning | followed a short sharp action. The number of electrical jobs in the | planning stage must be millions.

Ooh yes, I'm planning how I would wire up a house in England I haven't even decided in which county I might look for land for yet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You have to pull them off the front of every "Ring" 12volt halogen holder, then clean off the brass ! If careful they come in one go.

Reply to
Mike

Of if you have lots of 12volt halogens in the bathroom and only one is in a Zone 1 or 2 area, some led replacements are suitably rated. Not as bright but better than a non-matching unit.

Reply to
Mike

I remember when alternative phones started being available ... went to local market very cheap phones ... but all without the BABT green triangle. No problem the guy said .. and had a roll of BABT stickers ! Much cheaper than putting through approvals !

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

As long as you are in zone 3 ... then normal LV lights are OK.

Zone 3 is a height greater than 2.25m form floor level and at least 0.6m away form a bath etc.

All of my lights in the house go through an RCD anyway (100mA).

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes