Register Plate

Hi,

I've purchased a woodburner, and am having to fit it myself as I cannot find anyone to fit it without me having to get a 2nd mortgage!

I just need to know what I should make the register plate from? The chimney sweep said I should make it easy to remove so he can get back in there next year to re-sweep the chimney (I have no soot door in the chimney breast and don't want one).

I've seen some posts which mention steel and others which mention mulitboard. Which is best.

Thanks

neil

Reply to
Neil

We made ours out of one mil light steel - may be a bit thicker than that - easy to cut with some metal snippers. I thought the hardest job would be cutting the round hole for the flue - but this was easy by drilling and cutting out from the centre and peeling out. Our chimney has a very good draw and although the plate is not a tight fit, we can't smell any fumes.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

The place I bought my woodburner from a few months ago also made up register plates to measure, with soot doors if wanted (Bath area). Metal was the only option they offered, which makes sense to me the temperature it can get to. Somewhere in the instructions for the stove, translated from the norwegian I think, is the understatement that if it glows red you are running the stove too hot.

BruceB

Reply to
BruceB

You ought to be lining the chiomney strictly with this one, no just fitting a register plate.

Multiboard/masterboard will do.

Unless you are skilled steel worker, multiboard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chip shop fitter ? HVAC place ? Whereabouts are you ?

Steel. With a door.

I have seen one held on with Dzus fasteners though, which was rather a neat solution. They're the 1/4 turn fasteners used on racing cars and aircraft. Simple design, robust against crud, and easily installed.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

All

Thanks for your replies - I'll try the steel solution I think (as frankly I'm probably better with metal than wood!). I can see from the other posts what its for - ie to force the air draw through the burner rather than around it. and stop fumes from coming back.

I was concerned about lining the chimney but I think we'll only be using it periodically.

It was a mad spur of the moment purchase as we got it half price, at an agricultural fair - and now I'm having to fit it myself!

Neil

Reply to
Neil