Refrigeration gasses

The prohibition of HFCs seems to be claimed as a major success against greenhouse gasses. Even my 9+ year old fridge-freeze uses isobutane (R600a) so it seems manufacturers are ahead of the curve on this one, is the "deal" mainly trumpet-blowing?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm still not convinced about having flammable refrigerants like butane...

What happened to ammonia?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It got up people's noses!

My parents used to have a fridge using the ammonia cycle. It was gas-powered, with a little gas burner at the back. What always puzzled me as a kid was a) that it was 'cooled' by a heater, and b) that it was made by Electrolux.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Have you looked at the refrigerants in, for examples, heat pump tumble dryers?

Reply to
polygonum

Poisonous in the event of a leak. CO2 seems to be the future.

Reply to
harry

Also Ammonia is flammable.

Reply to
harry

Not previously, but some Miele ones do use R134a

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mostly it is an attempt to replace them in airconditioning as well.

Anhydrous ammonia is both poisonous *and* flammable.

Though still it was used in some large scale industrial refridgeration plant. I can recall an old ice plant for diazo dyes with a 32' flywheel that made the ground shake on the compression stroke. It made hollow core ice cubes about the same size as a man in bulk. You could smell ammonia in the air which made a nice change from the NOx everywhere else in the shed. Not a good place to work.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I heard this too. The 'developed' * countries are going first, followed by China, followed by India. If the goods are made in China for the European market, will Chinese rules apply (point of manufacture) or European rules (point of sale). If the former, will this cause a shift of production to China? If the latter, why would the Chinese make non-HFC products for export and HFC products for the home market?

  • Someone once asked Mahatma Gandhi what he thought of Western civilization. ?I think it would be a good idea,? he replied.
Reply to
Scott

How efficient are the new gasses over the old. I mean if theey are too much lower, then we might be healing the ozone hole at the expense of creating more carbon dioxide in power generation. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The one in my motorhome is electrolux, powered either by gas, 12Volt Dc or 220 volt Ac

Reply to
Zephirum

Yup, same. We removed it in 1986 (lasted us 14 years!). The ice box had broken, and an igloo used to grow inside where the frozen peas then lived.

What always puzzled

Yup

, and b) that it

Yup, I think that too..

Interesting rap video

Electrolux Gas Fridge 'Golden Age' 1962 TV commercial

"long life and happiness" :-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

My grandparents had one too. It never worked properly after conversion to natural gas - flame kept blowing out, and the gas board kept being called out to get it working again. Eventually my grandfather went into one of the Gas Board buildings, walked into one of the offices (which wasn't open the public), and sat down at someone's desk. He said he wasn't moving until they fixed his fridge. After a hour or so, they agreed to buy him an electric fridge.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is a large argument about using hydrocarbons in auto air conditioning as a replacement for 134a . A mixture of propane and isobutane is used. the fridge mechanics raise all sorts of dire arguments against, mostly rubbish because ordinary non licensed people can buy it and it does them out of a job.They waffle about flammability but coke machines and a lot of small fridges use butane, and as for cars the air con uses about 300 or so grams,What about the 80 litres or more in the boot of an LPG car.(it is legal in a lot of the world,not in some.

Reply to
F Murtz

It's legal here if it's properly fitted.

Reply to
bert

I really meant it is legal for hydrocarbon refrigerants

Reply to
F Murtz