Reflecting cold

Apart from perhaps the risk of asphyxiating first or being blown away by the escaping gasses probably yes on a good day with a trailing wind. Kubrick was meticulous about getting the details right in filming 2001.

The zero gravity sequences in the shuttle were particularly well done.

ISTR some of the stop motion sequences and heads up displays took almost forever to film because he wanted it all tack sharp. A decade and a half later the humble Beebon could do it in realtime a la Elite.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You wouldn't lose 90% on a normal commercial airline as that would require flying at more than 50000ft. 75% is closer for around the high 30's.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I've met people like that. Fruitcakes is too polite a word for them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This cap; does it affect the dark money flow? Only, I'm thinking, if you were to take the dark money and expose it to light for a nanosecond, you'd be able to regenerate the darkcashflow and recharge your pockets with dark money, thus creating a Dark Ponzi Scheme.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

smaller than Tom's."

Jim was jealous but he was pretty.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have never seen any ship with a reversed wheel. Not even historic replicas.

x-posted to uk.rec.sailing...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thereby creating a Pyramid of the Dark. I wonder if it sharpens knives, too?

Reply to
Davey

smaller than Tom's."

Envious rather than jealous?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Indeed. What changed were the orders given, not the direction of action.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

On 11/11/2011 23:34, Andy Champ wrote: :

Can't say I have ever seen a replica Viking longboat with a wheel. ;-)

Not x-posted.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

me neither

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didn't they have a *steering board* (in Danish) and hence starboard?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Close, but the derivation apparently is Old English.

The modern form is the tiller which of course continues to turn you in the opposite direction to the movement of the tiller.

A few early cars were steered by means of a tiller. That must have been fun.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Anyone remember BEV trucks? IIRC they had a lever that moved up and down for steering.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Doesn't the officer of the watch say "Steer 200" to the helmsman, so if you're going due south that means the same as if he said "Starboard 20"?

Reply to
Tim Streater

As I said, I was quoting a report, on a TV program about the sinking of the Titanic. A couple of other points:

  1. Wikipedia also mentions it, but with a 'dubious' suffix.
  2. Unless you actually sailed the ship, you would not know which way the rudder turned for a given movement of the wheel. Until the ship is underway, it's just a wheel.

My brother-in-law has sailed all over the world, and around it, I'll ask him if he has ever heard of this theory.

Reply to
Davey

Exactly. And there is at least one confirmed (as opposed to apocryphal) case of this causing the loss of a ship - in the 1880s the German Navy switched from old style to new style helm orders, and it was confusion of the two conventions which led to the armoured ships KAISER and GROSSER KURFURST colliding, and the latter sinking with heavy loss of life.

Reply to
Andy Breen

not according to Wiki it wasn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So before the change, in order to turn to starboard, which even then required the wheel to be turned to the right, as now, the order was then 'Turn to port"?

Reply to
Davey

Think of the way you move a tiller to turn to starboard - that was the old-pattern convention (dating back to when ships were steered by whipstaff). The change to giving orders in terms of the way the wheel needed to be turned came from the second half of the 19th century onwards, and could lead to confusion if a newly-trained officer gave a hurried order to a veteran helmsman, or an old-school officer barked incautiously at a new-trained helm..

Correction to earlier post: The rammer in the collision was the KONIG WILHELM (not the KAISER). The rammee was the GROSSER KURFURST, as stated. The latter sank. Witness accounts attest to the confusion over helm orders (as covered in several contemporary accounts).

Reply to
Andy Breen