Reflecting cold

By space I clearly meant away from here! In the middle of nowhere!

Not sure what you mean by the clue about life though - are you suggesting that life increases it be 30C?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Don't know about that but surely blood would boil at zero pressure almost regardless of temperature.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Probably the old ones. You can test yourself, just see how much hot air is flowing up form the modern ones (there's a reason for that concertina stuff inside). And you can't feel anywhere near as much being radiated. Mind you it might help if they were black, but then you'd need brighter lights,

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Probably, but possibly just finless. The radiator I am sitting next to is a single panel with no fins. Fins make a substantial difference - about 42% greater output according to one site I checked.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It's dark. You can't see it.

Reply to
Davey

Maybe, but it's still annoying.

-- Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Dark energy...

Reply to
polygonum

In the thermal longwave infrared just about anything that isn't a shiny metallic surface is a good approximation to black - even white paint.

ISTR as a rough rule of thumb radiative heat transfer starts to become significant at about 55C with an ambient of 20C. It scales with absolute temperature to the fourth power so takes off rapidly.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've never seen a finless one, what a strange idea! Even my slimline single panel hall radiator has fins at the back.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Why? It's just stating the factor that you multiply or divide with.

How would you rewrite the following anyway?: "Tom's c*ck was three times longer than Jim's, but Jim's nose was five times smaller than Tom's."

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I don't think the glass would think of it that way when it felt the pressure of all that dark matter.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

My Physics teacher (who had a Doctorate) disagreed. Stupid woman.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

"Tom's c*ck was four times the size of Jim's, but Jim's nose was a fifth of the size of Tom's". If that is what you mean by 'five times smaller', of course.

Reply to
Davey

Now don't be silly tim, I said its a theory.

I said its a theory, where did I say it isn't?

I know, and I was correct about the bits you corrected too.

Reply to
dennis

That's just ridiculous. Why do you find "five times smaller" so difficult to understand? "Five times" is simply quantifying the ratio.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

This house had central heating fitted in about 1975, 3 years before I moved in. No fins on any of the original radiators. I have a catalogue which I think dates to the early 1980s (gas fired CH boilers from £75) with not a single finned rad in sight except for Finrad skirting radiators which was referred to as "this new concept". The section on 'Comfort' ends with: "For these reasons perimeter skirting radiators provide fullest comfort at lower air temperatures then are required by other forms of central heating which have less efficient heat distribution. Even on the coldest days there is no need to set the thermostat in the 70s to feel warm; with perimeter skirting radiators the mid 60's produce that healthy sense of comfort, at a present to breathe air temperatures."

For those to whom Fahrenheit is a foreign language 70F is 21.1C and 65F is 18.3C.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Don't be silly. It's piped away down the wires to the power station, where it's converted into clouds. That's why it's cloudier in the winter when more people have their lights on.

Reply to
Huge

You can't get less than one times smaller - which makes it zero. What you want to say is that Jim's nose is one fifth the size of Tom's. "Five times smaller" is meaningless.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The process of piping the darkness back to the power station is not 100% efficient. Some residue gets left in the bulb, and can this can usually be seen as a dark film on the inside of the glass. In time, this becomes more and more apparent, and the light progressively becomes dimmer and dimmer. Eventually, the piping mechanism fails completely, causing the bulb to fill up instantly with saturated darkness.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

So that's why the government is reducing the feed-back tariff for solar power generation?

Reply to
Davey