Reflecting cold

Read it again

Reply to
Newshound

My money would be on the figures being quoted the wrong way round. (Not that I am prepared to bet on anything less than a dead cert so no money is offered).

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Doh!

Yes, you're quite right, sorry about that - I'm banging down painkillers to deal with a grumbling appendix, and don't have a great attention span ATM. Apologies to all.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

In message , "dennis@home" writes

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Surely what you need is a heat pip behind it attached to a large black lump of something then you can just stick a radiator on the other end and slavage the lost heat... Well its as scientific as the thread title!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

url:

> Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

If heat is infra-red EM radiation, what is cold, I wonder?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In this case feeling cold is more related to the conducting properties of the glass. If instead of glass you had a sheet of steel it would feel just as cold, since what you are feeling is basically the temperature outside. In both cases the temperature drop across the sheet is quite small. The temperature in the room is determined by (among other things) the sum of the amount of radiant heat going out the window and the amount of heat conduction through the window. With steel instead of glass the conduction would be more, but the radiant loss would be zero. It's not clear (to me) without doing some calculations which would make the room warmer, but I suspect that the conduction loss dominates.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

url:

In any case more heat is lost from the body by conduction-convection than by radiation, I believe. Evaporative cooling (sweat) can also be very significant.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Sounds about right, and consistent with the MBS.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Cold is the absorption of heat isn't it - it's a heat sink.

The first winters in this cottage were pretty miserable - just as well we were young. Possibly late 18th century build with 3 ft thick stone walls, it was probably warmer when built than when it was upgraded in the late 1920's to have a proper wooden floor and lathe and plaster on the walls, but they didn't put two and two together that all the under floor ventilating air just circulated up behind the L and P and out through the rood space, so the room insulation was just 2cm of plaster, above and all round; the basic coal fire would radiantly heat your front and the walls just seemed to suck all your warmth away from your back.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I think it's time to resurrect the Phlogiston theory.

Reply to
Davey

And miasma/contagion :-)

Actually the idea of hot/cold isn't too silly.

In the morning I open the living-room curtains to let the darkness out, which is just the reverse logic to letting the light in.

It's all relative/relativity really innit...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

ITYF it's "lath and plaster". A lathe is a machine for turning e.g. wood or metal..

HTH

Reply to
Frank Erskine

*shrug* Its a theory. But really, what isn't?

(serious deep question)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

url:

A virus

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An expectorant will help to get rid of that.

Reply to
PeterC

The idea that the mass of an object changes depending on how much energy it has isn't according to you.

Reply to
dennis

Relatively speaking, yes it is.

So how do we deal with those people who annoyingly describe something as being 'three times smaller' than something else?

Reply to
Davey

Well that's what the theory of relativity says... and the instruments say..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

harrys, Drivels or dennisses?

Reply to