refitting toilet cistern

Installing the toilet cistern tomorrow (the final part of shower room refurb). Should I attach the the cistern to the pan with doughnut, tighten and then mark where I drill the holes to secure the cistern (to the wall) OR Align and mark where holes are to be drilled with the doughnut in place but not tightened. Or does it matter.

I think the first is correct but asking just in case, as at my age I make silly mistakes :-( so second opinions welcome)

Reply to
ss

The doughnut needs to be compressed - otherwise the holes will be too high when you finally tighten the bolts and compress the doughnut.

Make sure you tighten them evenly, and place a spirit level on top of the cistern to make sure it's level before marking the hole positions.

You'll probably need to remove the cistern temporarily whilst you drill the wall and fit the plugs unless you figure out a way (e.g. short right-angled drill) of doing it with the cistern in place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

OK, thanks Rodger, thats what I thought. I do have a right angled attachment for drill so will try with that. No big deal though If I have to temp remove and drill.

Thanks

Reply to
ss