Refitting bath taps

I want to remove the bath taps so that I can reseal the edge with silicone. What do I seal between the tap and the bath? Long time since I last did this and I seemed to remember doing it with putty. Is that the case or is there a more appropriate material.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I want to remove the bath taps so that I can reseal the edge with silicone. What do I seal between the tap and the bath? Long time since I last did this and I seemed to remember doing it with putty. Is that the case or is there a more appropriate material.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Clean up and use the orginal seals. Make sure you have them in the right order.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

On Monday 04 March 2013 18:44 Kevin wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Plastic washer on mine...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Some people use Plumer's Mait (the putty stuff), others use silicone.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Plumber's Mait or silicone for fitting a sink or bath waste, not under taps.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Maybe its less common now, but Plumber's Mait definitely used to be used under taps too. I'm not advocating it for a second. And, despite what they say, it does set hard eventually.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I've never seen it used under taps, even in old sinks. Plumber's Mait is to seal wastes, etc. into vessels that will contain water.

Personally I don't use it for that either, nor silicone, now I've discovered the Basin Mate - wonderful device.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I've seen those but never used one, how do they work?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've found it a few times under old bath taps. Right PITA.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman