Refit mortice lock?

I've just moved into a flat-share and noticed there's a painted-over mortice lock which is part of the door handle assembly.
There is no keyhole on the door and I assume no keys for it. Is it possible for me to remove the lock and take it to a locksmith to find me a suitable key, or refit the screens and supply me with keys? How much does this kind of service cost? Would most High Street locksmiths be able to provide this service (I've noticed there's MANY in Wandsworth (worrying!))? Would it be cheaper/easier to buy a brand new lock mechanism?
Joe Woods wrote:

I would think it gets pricey when you start paying labour rates etc. I would just start again - take the old one out, replace the door handle etc with a 'normal' one and then buy a new lock. I'm about to fit Yale Cylinder Deadlock to my new front door.. should be quite straightforward if you have the right drill bits etc.
Thanks, I think I'll do just that then!
Are these kind of locks (internal doors) standard sizes? Could I remove the lock/handle and buy something of similar size quite easily? I don't really have the tools and skills to start boring out deeper holes in my door! I think I can manage cutting out a keyhole (normal drill + files?).

mortice
possible
suitable
kind
this
be
would
Deadlock to

drill
Joe Woods wrote:

to be honest - I dont know !! I think I am as much a novice at this as you - just thought I'd give it a shot !
Joe Woods wrote:

Yes, they come in standard sizes. Take your old lock with you to match new one. The advantage of a new one is that it will have a paper/card template to aid placement of keyhole. It could even be that there is a keyhole already but some bright spark has filled it and painted over...
NB daughter's flat in Wandsworth was recently broken into and she had 2 high security locks and hinge bolts on her own internal front door. They just smashed all the door frame away at their leisure. So your new lock may not be much of a deterrent if they can get through the main front door of the property easily.

Remember the borough of Wandsworth is larger than most cities in the UK, and has as better crime rate than many. Of course there are good and not so good parts as everywhere.
--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.