Refinishing Pine Furniture

I need to refinish a pine desk. The original finish is somewhat worn plus scratches and all the normal wear and tear. I guess the first step is to remove the old finish. First question: what is the 'best' chemical stripper to use?

After stripping and sanding to refinish to a 'golden' pine colour to match the other furniture what stain should I use? From what I have read, there are water based, oil based and coloured finishes. As I understand it, water based stains will raise the grain and require sanding after application. I also understand that pine is not 'easy' to stain evenly so should I use a 'sealer' before staining?

Finally what is the 'best' finishing medium. Lacquer, polyurethane (water based or oil based?)?

If there is a web site that covers this subject I would appreciate an address.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

The message from Edward W. Thompson contains these words:

Personally, I would wax it. A wax-finished piece of pine furniture is much nicer than one that has been stained. JMHO.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

All depends what the original finish is. Modern finishes, like polyurethane, can usually be sanded and re-finished without resorting to strippers

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Why chemical stripper. Is it seriously gouged! Elbow grease ( and sandpaper) would be my first thought - as I notice that Stuart is also suggesting.

Snip

Reply to
Clot