Redux: Just how much power can a fan oven consume?

Folks,

Readers with a good memory may remember my posting at the end of February, asking how a fan oven could consume 3kW in fifteen minutes.

After eliminating the usual suspects, the only remaining possibility seemed to be a faulty meter, so I contacted EDF and asked for it to be tested. And yes, I would pay 35 if the meter wasn't faulty.

Well, their man finally called today with his little bag of tricks. Very pleasant and professional.

The test took less than two minutes.

The result? The meter is recording at triple the proper rate. (Strictly,

199.56% but he was willing to round that up to 200%, bless him.)

EDF will replace the current meter 'asap' and refund the overcharge back to when the current meter was installed in Jan 2011.

Thanks for everyone for their support and suggestions over the past month.

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Kemp

Well that is one heck of a fault. I'd imagine when they get it back to base it will be processed fast in case its a common failure mode and they owe lots of folk money!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Tuesday 02 April 2013 13:47 Peter Kemp wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Result!

Perhaps I should check mine...

Reply to
Tim Watts

What type of meter, if you don't mind us asking? Presumably one of these new fangled electronic ones?

Reply to
newshound

2 years at triple rate, that'll be a nice little lump. B-)

Remember to take the reading of the old meter just as they remove it and the new one when they install it. Have you got bills from Jan 11 with the reading of the old meter at that time. What makes you think I wouldn't trust the power company(s) not to make a mess of this. Remember the metering may not be done by the same people you pay for lecky...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a:

RadioTelemeter Series K Type K210A02 made in 2009.

As you say, very much a new-fangled beastie. It manages four tariffs: day, evenings, weekends plus (in parallel) 'cheap rate' both overnight and daily boost session.

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Kemp

You cynic you! ;-)

Fortunately I do have the printed bills from Jan 2011, so I've at least got a fighting chance of seeing whether they've calculated the rebate properly.

Not that I'm holding my breath - it's approaching three months now and despite two *promises* from EDF, it still hasn't refunded the overpayment due to the previous inhabitants of the flat...

Regards Peter

Reply to
Peter Kemp

In article , Peter Kemp writes

Don't forget your compensation payment, they've failed to meter your energy use accurately per their charter. I'd be looking for 10% of the overbill. Take it to the regulator if they get sticky, they have to pay the cost of the complaint if it gets that far, used to be a fixed fee of

300quid IIRC.
Reply to
fred

You are also entitled to interset

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Or maybe fred's claws looking at his post:-)

And the day off work for the meter to be tested - that was not free.

Reply to
ARW

Interest, compensation for incorrect metering, getting better all the time. B-)

I hope Mr Kemp keeps at EDF. I'd give 'em 10 working days to get in touch with revised, already owed, overpayment details and details of the incorrect metering repayment, compensation and interest. I'd then give 'em phone call and another 10 days, then go into writing. Phone calls and notes on accounts get forgotten/not actioned. Letters have a physical presence that is harder to "forget".

Aside: How would a self employed person cost "a day off work" if they hadn't had to turn work down, or have any to do, on the relevant day?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

When I've done this in the past I have taken my annual gross earnings and divided it down to a day rate. I treated my unavailability for work as a loss whether I was on a job or not. This was for loss of earnings as a court witness, they didn't accept my word on the day but asked me to write in describing my loss. I set it out in a well structured letter and they paid in full.

Reply to
fred

And if that had failed they could have paid your accountant to work it out for them:-)

Reply to
ARW