Redundant Hot Water Pipe

Hi all

Quick question on hot water piping. I currently have a 15mm hot supply to a kitchen sink which follows a tortuous route and therefore takes a long time to deliver hot water and then at a low flow. Whilst doing other work I made provision for an alternative feed, but was wondering what to do about capping off the existing one.

The existing feed is concreted beneath floors of inhabited rooms and it would not be practical to try to find the branch point that feeds the sink. Is there a problem with simply capping off the existing supply at the sink (and leaving a run of "standing" water). Or should I tee the old and new feeds together? Not sure what that would achieve apart from perhaps moving the run of water.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yes, the standing water can become stagnant and buggy (Legionnaire's).

Teeing them together might not achieve adequate circulation of the water. You could put a circulation pump in.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is it possible to find an earlier branch point and run a new feed to the still used branch?

-- JGH

Reply to
jgh

"Owain" wrote

Doesn't Legionnaire's require the water to be open to the air?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It will be over time as dissolved air in the water bubbles out and accumulates in your dead leg.

Ideally you need to chop it off at the source end if you can. No harm in leaving the pipe in place, but it would be better if it were not connected to the rest of the system.

Reply to
John Rumm