Redundant air vents in kitchen wall.

Hallo.
We have two roughly 6" square air vents in the kitchen wall, one near the ground and the other a couple of feet up. There used to be an oil-fuelled boiler in a concrete cupboard in the kitchen, but now the only thing that needs ventilating in that room is the gas hob. Would it be ok to brick up one of the vents, as they're quite draughty, or does the hob really need that much fresh air?
Matt.

A gas appliance needs a constant source of fresh air, so needs some kind of open vent into the room. I can't see one gas hob needing the air intake that is supplied from two 6'' vents though, so I'd say you could brick one up without causing any harm to health or environment.

Expanding foam is your friend.
Christian.

Check the hob installation instructions. It will say what the minimum size of room is without having permanent ventilation. If it's just a hob, I doubt there's a problem unless the kitchen is small. If by 'hob' you meant a cooker or your 'hob' has lots of burners or a very large burner with a flame failure detector, then it will be a different story.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:22:33 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Matt
produced:

Provided that the volume of the kitchen is greater than 10m (which would be a very small kitchen), and that you have an opening window, then permanent ventilation is not required (see AD 'J' [http://tinyurl.com/292da ], section 3.15). You may want to keep at least one of these vents with a closeable grille to give you some background ventilation without having to keep a window open.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this