Redundant 13 amp socket

Not in a caravan or a motorhome or boat.

I once had the cab fill with smoke. Quite difficult to control the vehicle. Not the vehicle electrics though. A short in a nicad pack.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

How long does that take to have an effect?

Reply to
John Rumm

You don't need to actually remove the wires, but you do need to disconnect the power to them.

We have a picture also:

John Rumm

Yes, they need an outer enclosure (e.g. a wagobox), but they are ok for non maintained connections.

Reply to
John Rumm

That would be for soldering redspots? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Tuesday 23 July 2013 00:03 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think I said "car"?

Reply to
Tim Watts

At home certainly, but at collage it was mostly valves, the next project was building an audio amp with an ECL84.

As I remember we were split arbitrarily into three groups

One group would build their amp using tag strip extensively, the second would use tag board similarly, and the third would wire directly to the valve base with the minimum of strategically placed tags.

I was put in the first group, but I was pissed off because I had already done a lot of construction, and my style was the third.

Reply to
Graham.

Needs must when the devil drives.

I have never been that desperate in a work situation. The nearest thing I can think of is when I needed to bridge a couple of tracks on a PCB and I had forgot to bring my iron. I took the board to the car and used the cigarette lighter as an iron.

Reply to
Graham.

You did. I was broadening the discussion. I don't use cars much, so I have a different emphasis to you. Also I can see over the hedges.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Tuesday 23 July 2013 03:20 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - that is a handy trait. I'd be happy to see over the roundabouts around here :-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

I only ever used a heatsink on semi conductors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought hair crimpers were for making waviness. ICBW.

Reply to
Adam Funk

While the have their place, if you really need a heatsink, it's usually because your iron isn't man enough to do the job extremely quickly.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I've just invented something (oh dear my patent rights have gone ...). A little shelf attached to a plug (say an adapter block). So you plug in the shelf/plug and pop your electric toothbrush / mobile phone / personal massager on top and away you go ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Where ringmains loop through sockets, there are invariably two wires poked in a hole, and secured by a screw - which is mechanically not that much different from a choc block.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What, a bit like this?

tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I recently saw one of those on Amazon...

Reply to
S Viemeister

On Tuesday 23 July 2013 13:35 Ian Jackson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

A socket is ipso facto accessible behind -

Using a terminal strip would only be a problem (as in "no, you cannot" ) if the box is plastered over or otherwise made inaccessible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Never use one these days. Early semi-conductors were said to be easily damaged by heat - hence the heat sink.

Bit like the elephant scarer I have in the garden. It obviously works because I've never seen an elephant there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. And accessible. You're not allowed to use screw connections where they become inaccessible - like if plastered over. That's when you crimp or solder. There's no point in crimping if you're simply replacing a socket with a blank plate. As the connection remains accessible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)