reducing tee 22mx22mmx10mm why not?

Why does nobody seem to sell a compression reducing tee to take a 10mm off a 22mm pipe? I am planning to use 22mm for my main CH flow and redturns with rads individually coming off with 10mm.

Is there some reason, such as sludge built up, that means that

22xx22x10 tees are frowned upon?

thanks,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

mark

Perhaps it makes for better business sense to keep the product range narrower and to sell you a reducer.

mark

Reply to
mark

auctions

I would imagine that it's because there is almost zero market for them. BES do end feed (item 10002) and solder ring (9246) although at £20 I'd use a reducer!

Reply to
Bill Taylor

It's also because anyone installing central heating would use a 22mm - 10mm manifold to serve 2 or 4 rads at a time.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

In article , RobertL scribeth thus

They don't it seems make them.

I needed some last week..

Get a 22 to 15 and reducer from the discount plumbing place...

Reply to
tony sayer

that's a good point, but even they seem hard to locate except in plastic or speedfit. I'd like to use ordinary brass compression fittings.

A manifold in brass costs =A333 here:

my rads don't mostly happen to be located in pairs along the rout of the flow/return pipes so to make use of manifolds I'd have to have longer 10mm runs, whic hI don't want.

Thanks to snipped-for-privacy@sheldononline.co=AD.uk for the link but I woul dlike brass not plastic push fit.

Hmm, annoying.

RobertL

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "mark" saying something like:

Not very much demand for them.

That's about the size of it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

========================================= Consider using this type of manifold - very easy to use because you can make up the main pipework leaving short tails coming from the manifold to be connected later:

Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

terminates the 22mm whereas most of my rads are not at the end of a

22mm tube. So I'd need a 22x22x22 tee first and then this. If I'm going to use two fittings I might as well use a 22x22x15 and then a 15-10 reducer.

but thanks,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

========================================= They don't have to terminate a single tube. You can have several 22mm 'stalks' with a manifold on each at different points on your main flow and return pipes.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

terminates the 22mm whereas most of my rads are not at the end of a

22mm tube. So I'd need a 22x22x22 tee first and then this. If I'm going to use two fittings I might as well use a 22x22x15 and then a 15-10 reducer.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

That's an interesting fitting. Presumably it's for soldering but (just out of interest) isn't the soldering tricky? I have a vision of the first 10mm dropping out by the time the 4th one is soldered with a thick lump of copper like that, or am I just looking at it the wrong way?

Reply to
GMM

GMM coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think, as someone may have alluded to, I'd solder in 20cm "tails" on all ports, somewhere convenient (dining room table job, this), then install it and connect to each tail as required. It looks like a fair limp of brass and it's going to take some heating.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

========================================== They've been around for many years so nothing new about them. I believe they're all female both ends ( I've never seen a 22mm male ended one but they may exist) so you can assemble the tails and a bit of 22mm pipe at the same time and then solder both 22mm pipe and 8 / 10mm tails together. It is an advantage if you can do the soldering 'on the bench' and then incorporate as a prepared unit. From memory, (not being a professional) I usually get the solder into the 22mm end first and then the tails are easy.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yorkshire Fittings does a 22mm x 4 pairs of 10 mm stud coupling manifolds.They sell a lot of them.My company is the supplier of these to YF`s patent.They also do 28 x 6 and 9 pairs of 10mm stud manifolds.They are called Micrafolds in their catalogue.

Reply to
mark

feeds of the main 22mm pipes using 22 x22 15 tees reduced to 10mm .My pipes in the hall are 22mm with a 3 way manifold at the end but other feeds off the pipes .I have wondered why they didn't just use tees for all the rads .

Reply to
fictitiousemail

You solder them all together. The fitting is a lump of machined brass, and all connections will be at the soldering temperature at the same time. You have to have the pipework clamped (at least temporarily) in place whilst you solder it. I admit that I sometimes cheat by deforming the pipe ends a bit so they're a stiff fit in the fitting, but if one springs out whilst you're soldering, it's quite complicated to repair this particular fitting from that state (yes, it's happened to me once -- had to take the whole thing apart and clean it up and start again). The other thing about these manifold fittings is the femail ends always seem to be looser than with copper end-feed fittings, which makes it even more important that you clamp the pipes in place during soldering.

I'd have to say that if you're a soldering beginner, this fitting probably isn't what you'd want to start on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

========================================= I don't think there's any particular advantage associated with either method. It depends on the desired layout of the system and the preferred length of the microbore pipes to radiators. That should be shorter with the 22x22x15 method but probably requires more work.

I actually suggested the use of mini manifolds as an alternative to the standard types suggested by another poster and of course the 'micrafold' suggested later which costs about £60-00p.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero