Reducing rain noise on Velux windows

My two year old son is regularly woken by rain noise on the Velux windows in his room. Does anyone know of a way to reduce this noise?

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Leave it open, in the vertical position. :-)

Sorry to be frivolous over what is obviously a serious problem, but I really don't think there's a very satisfactory solution. My best serious suggestion is to tape bubble-wrap over it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

earplugs !

Reply to
.

Get him an IPOD - his hearing will be sufficiently wrecked by the time he is 5 not to notice it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anyway, I have fond memories of my childhood associated with V bomber coming in to land at 50 feet over the house.

And being woken in the early hours by the sparking of the electric trains on a frosty morning.

Now if you REALLY want crap, try peacocks, or living in a slum over a bus stop in crouch end. Those big diesels used to shake the floorboards and rattle the windows.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Presumably its already doube glazed, which cuts out the majority of the noise. I doubt theres any solution, some things in life we just have to deal with. One thing might or might not be worth a try, erecting netting above the window, the curtain netting type of stuff. It might slow the drops and break them up, thus reducing noise, or it might get blown away.

Triple glazing would also work, but...

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Velux used to do an external shutter specifically for its windows. Not cheap as it was electrically operated and needed there specific motors/ controller. Also retro fitting may be a problem but perhaps worth looking at. I assume that you have already got there snug fitting blind attatched to the window. Could you perhaps add some sound absorbing material to this? Legin

Reply to
legin

Jack the house up and move it to the Atacama desert, or the dry valleys of Antarctica. Ear plugs or 30mg of Diazepam might work too.

The answer, cruel as it may sound is to make sure the little blighter is well fed, watered, winded and with a fresh nappy. Then close the bedroom door, fit your earplugs and ignore him until *you* decide to wake up at 7am or whatever. If he's tired he'll sleep, if he wants to ball his head off you can't hear it and he'll soon learn that nighttime means sleep regardless of rain on the Velux. It might be a few weeks or months before he gets the message though :)

Reply to
Matt

I have the same problem (only it is me that is kept awake). I am moving house soon so have decided to live with it for now :O)

The only thing that I considered was getting some solid polystyrene insulation and cutting it to the exact size of the window surround on the inside and coming up with *some* form of fixing solution that allowed it to be applied and removed quickly Velcro maybe?

HTH

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

If you have ever lived in most houses down under the above comlaint is laughable. Try living in a house with a metal roof under a tropical downpour or hail storm. I grew up in Auckland NZ and we had a corrugated iron roof (I helped my Dad paint it, DIY reference). We had no roof space as high ceilings help with the heat but in a good hailstorm you had to shout if you were upstairs...

Rain on a Velux, luxury, sheer luxury.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

tin roof! You were lucky! We had no roof and t' hail used to flay us alive.

etc. etc. :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Strains of Dvorak's New World Symphony as murdered by a colliery brass band.

Reply to
Andy Hall

ITYM "bawl" unless he's a very precocious two-year-old.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

YES!!

Oh, I spent time in a converted shed in Johannesburg's Northern Suburbs. Tin roof, no insulation...lord the relief when it DID rain, as the temp would at least drop down sub 30C...you wanted to wake up just to enjoy it..

I remember bewng woken in a friends converted mill in Tuscany, by the sound of..well it sort of went tock.....tock...tock..tock..tock-tock SPLAT!.

I aksed him waht it was.."Oh. The roof is solid 4 courses of tiles cemented together, and see that there, thats the Walnut tree..they drop off, bounce down the roof and end up on the drive.."

Yup.

Teach the little bastard to actually be part of the real world outside the TV/video game/suburban cotton wool.

As one who has successfully sept through rick concerts, and on the tiled floor of Zeebrugge Ferry terminal, let me assure you that sleeping is simply a question of being tired enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funny how they normally sleep through natural noises like thunder, but wake on most anything else!;;;

Reply to
tony sayer

fear of missing something going on ... I remember it well :)

Reply to
.

My father-in-law suggested a similar idea Gerry. I know I'm not going to describe this very well but here goes - the room is in a single storey extension with pitched roof. The ceiling is flat ie it doesn't follow the roof line so two recesses have been created in the ceiling to allow access to the Veluxes. My father-in-law suggested cutting some upholsterer's foam the same size as the recess and using that when it's raining. Now to find said foam....

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

No roof!! you were lucky....... there were 16 of us and we all lived under a stone in a lake, a cold lake at that lad, you dunno your'e born.............trouble at mill.... trouble at mill!!!!!

Sorry, Monty Python rant over. :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

I'm also having the same problem myself since moving into a loft conversion! As mentioned by others the velux shutter option seems to offer additional sound proofing through foam backed metal but I don't know how good it is! At around =A3300 I want it to be perfectly silent!! Post back if you go for it...

Reply to
bob

==================== I think a wooden frame covered in fine wire mesh would do the job. It would need to be attached an inch or so above the glass. Kitchen strainers and fire guards use this kind of wire mesh and you should be able to buy it by the sheet - possibly in B&Q or Wickes.

War time despatch riders' goggles used the same principle. They were made from aluminium sheet with thin slits cut into the aluminium. The idea was that the slits were too narrow to allow rain drops to enter but they were so close to the eyes that the aluminium appeared to be invisible.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1053 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero