Reducing limescale

Do things like this:

work? If yes, how?

Reply to
Peter Percival

It has an exclamation mark at the end of the description. Instant turn-off!!

The first answer is 'no', so there is no second answer.

Reply to
Davey

Is it snake oil season again? Within 30 minutes we have power reducing transformer con (titled Miracle?) and magnetic de-scalers raising their ugly heads!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Took a similar electric one out when we refurbed the back of the house. The short run of copper pipe with the magic wire coiled round it was furred up on the inside.

May post a photo one day.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

They work for their intended purpose which is to get you to pay good money for cheap tat.

I have this bottle of snake oil, cures all ills, does away with pills. You can buy a case for only fifty bucks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then there's ones that plug into the mains. There's one of those lurking in our utility room - my gut instinct is that it's a waste of space, but you never know...

"Micro-Wave Computerised Scale Control" - typical 200mA/8v wall-wart PSU, and a small wire that's wrapped tightly around the main water pipe in, with both ends connected to the box. There's a little green LED to show you that it's working, too. Woo!

I'm so tempted to take it apart and see what's inside. Bets on it just lighting the light?

Reply to
Adrian

One of these...

Adrian

Do things like this:

work? If yes, how?

No

Invest in a water softener and enjoy the difference

Reply to
Nthkentman

Seconded with enthusiasm.

Reply to
Davey

If it causes scale to precipitate out, then not having a means of removing the scale is crap design. I'd be far more likely to believe in them if they unscrewed and allowed cleaning out!

Reply to
polygonum

They work at lightening your wallet. Anyone who says they do is in the business of selling them or simply deluding themselves, and is therefore a liar and not to be trusted.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Or move to somewhere that has a decent, soft, water supply.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes

They are made of the purest of snake oils.

Reply to
alan

Thank you for all replies. My doubts have been confirmed!

Reply to
Peter Percival