Reduce door aperture?

I bought a second-hand exterior door to replace the crummy thing the builders put in as a back door.

Trouble is, I was having a blonde day and my measurement was off (I think I measured the short side of the old door against the long side of the new one).

The result is, the new door is about 5mm too short. My question is, how easy is it to modify the frame, or is my only realistic option to go back to the reclamation yard and play "silly old me" and hope they'll let me change it?

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

5mm? that is only 2.5 mm each end! could you put it in a position where it is evenly spaced so the gap is not a problem?
Reply to
Gav

Gav wrote in news:NSG4g.61297$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

A good point, but the aperture is 1984mm and the existing door is 1975mm, so the gap is already generous. The new door is 1970mm, and I think 7mm top and bottom is too much.

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

Screw 5mm strip of hardwood or treated softwoood to the bottom of the door. Cover with one of those brass (or aluminium, etc, depending on taste) kick-plates. A lot less work than trying to change the frame.

If you aren't concerned about appearance but just want the door to fit, then adding 5mm to the top of the frame would be easier than trying to raise the threshold.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just nail and glue a strip of wood along the bottom of the door.

Reply to
<me9

Yer wot?

Anyhow, put a threshold strip in the frame and cut a bit more off the door.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Bottom of both doors is stepped, so outer face is shorter than inner face.

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke