reduce diameter of broom handle to fit broom head

The broom handle has broken near the head.

I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head

The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole in the broom head.

The fitting on the head is plastic so can't make hole bigger

I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.

I have no lathe.

I've tried to do this before using a table saw tuning the handle held against the mitre gauge against the blade.

It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and accurate.

Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?

Chris

Reply to
christopher

I'd go for sanding rather than sawing. I happen to have a bench-mounted belt sander, and it's not too difficult to do by hand with one of these. Otherwise, the quick way to sand wood is with a sanding disk in, yes, you've guessed, an angle grinder. You can finish off by hand with sandpaper.

Reply to
Newshound

power planer works(-ish) at least to pull material off fast.

You could make a pole lathe

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or (shock horror), a Surform.

Reply to
Huge

Buy a new broom, life's to short!

Reply to
Graham Jones

Just an aside...

I've had a Surform plane for around 40 years. It was only used occasionally, and I hadn't seen it for several years. Recently, I realised that it was a good tool for what I wanted to do, so I dug it out from where it was hiding. Then it suddenly dawned on me, "Is it pronounced "sir form", or is it "sure form" (which is what I've always called it)?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I used to have a mate like that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

AFAIK, the latter.

Reply to
Huge

Buy a new broom, life's to short!

That is the correct answer.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses sketch with trigger saying he had the same broom for 30 years....

It had 10 new heads and 7 handles it that time though....

Reply to
Camdor

I have always used the former...

Reply to
John Rumm

Ian Jackson :

surf-orm in our family.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Thanks for the three 'verdicts'. Actually, I really meant to say I called "sir form", so I guess that "sir-form" or "surf-orm" wins 4 to 3.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Me too

Reply to
Frank Erskine

all wrong, "cheese grater"

Reply to
F Murtz

Surfirm pronounce like ?sir? form. From the Latin word sur meaning over and above.

Reply to
jim14142135

You?re replying to a 6 year old message and you can?t even spell ?Surform? correctly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes I have had this same broom for 10 years its only had two new handles and4 new heads. Bryan

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Never reduce the diameter with a sharp tool. Timber is a natural product and expands and contracts. Take a hammer and hit around the end of the pole to flatten it just enough to bang the handle home. The timber will return to its original size and shape and give a solid tight fit. Wack the screw in and bobs your uncle ?

Reply to
BIGKRISS

Maybe but I used to take the opposite approach, making the hole slightly bigger, otherwise you get the lateral wobble issue I found. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)