Red diesel current price?

Do they also do you two eggs and a fried slice?

Only seems to take mine a mile or two to get warm.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Petrol or diesel?

Temp guage on my diesel doesn't get to normal until I've done at least 5 miles. That's when the climate control decides there is enough available heat to really start warming the cabin and winds the fan up to full. Before that it sits at normal fan with warmish air. That's driving if you just go a mile or two then sit idleing the engine temp stays where it is, cool and with little cabin heat.

Heated windscreen, blooming marvelous. Start up hit the demist button which sets the vents and heat accordingly and switches on the front and back heated screens. By the time I've cleared the frost/snow of the side and back windows the screen will normally clear with just the wipers. B-)

Light frost or misting melts/disappears in just a few tens of seconds. Also saves having to scrape the inside of the screen as well as the outside. A heated windscreen will be high up the list of requirements of any replacement car, along with electronic diming interior mirror and climate control.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

many

Sure they aren't running on Fuel Oil? Big places like large schools and hospitals probably are. And as for farmers I can't see them paying duty at 10p/l+ on red plus VAT at 20% to heat the house when kerosene for domestic heating has no duty and VAT at 5%...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A LOT depends on the engine. Alloy warms faster than cast iron for example.

And you need small bore fast moving water circulation as well - warming the coolant used to be a major job as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuel oil is only competitive at Megawatt power levels..the paraphernalia to get the fuel runny enough to pump...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My VW Touran has an auxilliary heater that burns diesel.

Sadly I had to pull the fuse from it because it was a complete bastard for making huge clouds of white diesel vapour laden smoke, usually after stopping at the level crosing after 60 seconds of driving. I could smoke out

20 yards of pavement with that, and choke myself inside if the blower was running...
Reply to
Tim Watts

It needs a service - they are quite easy to service.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If that were so, VW would have managed to fix it when I presented it as a fault under warranty. All they did was say a vent hose was split and replace that, but it did not cure the problem that seemed to happen only if the ait temperature was around 3-6C. To be fair, the VW technicians are generally pretty thick if the problem cannot be diagnosed immediately by the computer (same as Vauxhall then).

The VW Forums had a consensus that mine was a common problem, that could sometimes be tweaked with a software setting (I think to retard the point it cut in to something nearer 0C, but I got bored with the faffing and pulled the fuse...

I might investigate that myself when I get a VAGCom interface for my laptop...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Vaporised but unburnt diesel. Not quite sure how these things work but I'd expect a glow coil of some sort and ignitor for the vapour. The glow coil is obviusly working but the ignitor has failed. Possibly things have got out of sync ie it thinks it's lit but hasn't or has gone out but there ought to be a "flame failure" system that fires the ignitor again or puts the device into lock out.

Clouds of unburnt diesel from FBH is a pretty common fault though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

schools

when

True enough but hospitals have sodding big boilers and heating demands, all those sick people dressed in flimsy open backed night shirts... OK only a sample of one but the hospital boiler room I've seen was fuel oil and as you say there is a fair bit of fannying about to warm the oil to make it runny and to get it going.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm wondering if the ignitor cannot cope with damp (hence the problems at around 5C). Never seemed to have a problem if it was actually freezing outside.

Is the ignitor a spark or a hot wire sort of device? I have no idea how these things work, neve having encountered one before...

Reply to
Tim Watts

When you get that you can come and sort out my daughter's dead Golf GT1 (MK3)

I think the original fault was dying battery cells in the alarm but the net result is a lock out by the engine management control.

Currently gathering dust and taking up space in a barn:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

and they monitor sales of Fullers earth.

Reply to
Martin

¿Eh?

Fullers[1] Earth is sold as cat litter isn't it?

I dont[1] remember being followed home by a squad car any time I bought some.

Cat litter, that is.

When I had a cat.

Nick [1]Waterstone apostophe - buy one get one free

Reply to
Nick Odell

if it was a gal, sharan, alhambra - it would be time to plut the glowpug in the heater :-)

Reply to
Ghostrecon

bit rusty on these but if its an Eberspächer model i think it just has a glowplug no igniter

thread here scroll downto post 80 for piccies

Ghostrecon

Run the red diesel through cat litter to get clear diesel. Might need to filter the diesel afterwards to clean it of cat litter particular

Reply to
a23159

need to filter the diesel afterwards to clean it of cat litter particular

No, run it through the cat.

Reply to
Max Demian

Activated charcoal.

Reply to
harry

Interesting discussion about dyes in fuel. When I "were nobbut a lad", as w e say in Lancashire, in the 1960's we had a Hardware shop and my Dad was an "Esso Blea Dooler". Those of a certain age will remember Esso Blue paraffi n. We also sold Aladdin Pink, and it was amazing how many customers insiste d on one or the other because they perceived it to be better. Same price fo r both, around 2 shillings and sixpence for a gallon IIRC. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Reply to
petek