Red Devil onetime filler - why did I not find this before...

Needed some filler to make good around some light switches and a mate had mentioned it before.

It knocks Polyfilla into a cocked hat - this stuff is creamy and very easy to work with - I had to put in a fillet 1x1cm the length of the backbox side and despite the bulk, it goes in, stays in and allows to to smooth it to perfection with a knife with no cleanup or sanding needed.

Didn't even drop any on the floor.

So that's my tip for the day :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Been using that for years, it's been mentioned on here before.

I agree, bloody marvelous stuff, I don't use anything else.

I once filled a 2"deep hole in a ceiling in one go!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Microspheres. I have to say the TS own label version I used was anything but creamy, and actually pretty useless. The tubs of pre-mixed patching plaster work in the same way IIRC

Reply to
stuart noble

I've used the Sika/EverBuild version from TS and it was fine, the tub felt empty before I started using it, are those spheres full of helium? :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

I must have missed that -

Make you wonder why Polyfilla still exists. Red Devil cost me all of £7 odd for a litre tub...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hmm. This came from TS but is the genuine label.

All the others I've had, from Wickes own to Polyfilla all seem to dry and crumbly or they shrink badly on drying.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Any good for fixing cracks between plasterboard sheets, though? Only thing I've found that works is a good decorator's caulk - but it shrinks so needs several applications.

What i need is something that grips well, is flexible, and doesn't shrink.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Tim Watts

A 10 kg bag of joint filler or Artex powder costs £14. Usually I don't need a filler to be lightweight or fast setting.

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes, I'd be interested to know that, too. I've got cracks in some of my ceilings which are difficult to fill by any means currently known to me!

Also, what is its shelf life, once opened? If I use a bit now and then come to use some more in a year's time, am I going to find a solid mass in the tub?

Reply to
Roger Mills

No but the stuff with microspheres doesn't shrink when it sets like the stuff you use.

Acrylic caulking is better for suff that moves a bit, it is flexible like silicone but can be painted.

Reply to
dennis

Decorator's caulk does do the job. But needs perhaps 5 or 6 applications, so allow plenty time for this before painting. But it does last better than anything else I've tried. Did my problem ceiling some three years ago, and it's still fine. All the other fillers I've tried lasted weeks before the cracks appeared again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't shrink like other fillers, but would be susceptible to movement cracking.

It dries out a bit, but the addition of a few drops of water sorts that out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

everbuild caulk once, does wot it says on tube, really low shrinkage

Adam Aglionby

Thanks. But what's the max time it takes you to get through a tub? If you're using it frequently, it would almost certainly take me longer!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm a great fan of lightweight products but I don't see why they would shrink any more or less than, say, Gyproc joint filler

Reply to
stuart noble

The balls don't shrink at all and they make up most of the bulk.

Reply to
dennis

I tend to buy the 1 litre tubs cos they are cheaper. I use one every two/three months.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Which is generally why there are cracks in a ceiling in the first place. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The idea that a filler won't crack regardless of the surface it's being applied to is faintly ridiculous. Something that dries flexible, like silicone or caulk, will obviously accommodate movement but can't be sanded or matched to any non-flexible surface like wood or plaster

Reply to
stuart noble