Red and black cables

And you should see the moulded plugs that are fitted to the UK appliances.

Reply to
ARW

Four core flex is available.

Reply to
harry

Are there types of colour blindness that cannot distinguish between amber and white? Vertical white bars are used for traffic lights which apply to trams* as the go signal which could lead to an embarrassing mistake.

*in some countries for bus lanes as well.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Received from, I suspect, more than sent to.

Reply to
Scott

I *think* I bought five core once for some mad job involving a central heating timer. I think I only used four though.

Reply to
Scott

No (as long as it's not damp), but you want to run it in gently at first ;-)

At that age it will be made of real copper, not the modern Turkish stuff now that has the consistency of aero 'chocolate'.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Am happy to see other suggestions - especially for amber and green. Octagonal for red seems obvious.

Reply to
polygonum

In my last house, Green & Yellow was used for something in the CH system, cylinder thermostat? Whatever it actually was, it was definitely a significant voltage relative to earth.

Reply to
polygonum

I bought some six core for wiring our boiler. But the conductors were numbered, not colour coded.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Trailer leads are multi coloured.

Reply to
Capitol

It's nothing like that.

KYW

Not enough to matter.

Reply to
KYW

Never seen anyone re-purpose a CPC as an extra switched live? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed.

No, I believe that is still the case. Obviously it needs over marking if re-purposed in a flex.

(I believe the logic is that in a flex its possible to unambiguously identify which wire it is at the other end, while that may not be possible / easy with loose singles).

Reply to
John Rumm

Strangely, no.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That at least makes sense. Personally, I still don't like it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Long time ago I installed a new timeswitch I think it was and it needed more than two cable so I found five core cable that I think was heat insulated to avoid that very problem.

Reply to
Scott

Sorry, it was five core flex.

Reply to
Scott

Charles has it right. It's not male only, just much rarer in women who need 2 defective copies of the gene.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There are forms of colour blindness which have much wider effect. And there are many acquired forms.

I myself suffered from temporarily reduced colour vision - as if someone had turned down the chrominance on my vision just a touch. It returned to my "normal" some months later after treatment. (Not that vision was mentioned once with respect to my condition, nor is it in most documentation except in a few rather less known research papers.)

Some forms result in monochromatism - though these more serious forms may inhibit driving safety too much on their own.

My experience is one factor behind my suggestion of adding shape as a distinguishing feature.

Reply to
polygonum