Recycling thought

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

Splendid. Do keep up the insults.

You must have lived a very sheltered life then.

Reply to
Roger

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:09:08 GMT someone who may be Roger wrote this:-

Nice try, but yawning is not an insult.

Have I?

Reply to
David Hansen

Yep, I lived in Holland for 8 months recently and they still have returnable deposits on glass bottles and those small aluminium beer kegs (what do people in the UK do with these?). Most large supermarkets have automated systems to determine the deposit due pack and print a barcoded slip to use against your next purchases.

Another thing that they did (totally off topic) is that every doggy bin contained two rolls of doggy bags. So, no excuse for not cleaning up after your dog! Seems, though, that we were the only one's to clear up :)

Reply to
marpate1

The way to break that habit is a packet of Dextrosol in your pocket. Either that, or take along the blood glucose meter and insist that he tests before you hand out the sweeties. :-)

OTOH, I can completely understand that you don't want him having a hypo either.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

It depends which side of the yawn you are on.

It seemed the obvious choice if you hadn't ever seen brown tap water in Scotland but there are other explanations that could fit the bill. You could for instance have a poor memory and have forgotten or you could just be lying.

Reply to
Roger

Oh, we all carry Dextrosol all the time. But that's a short term fix and it can take some time to get home; Dextrosol is meant to be backed up with carbohydrate within a few minutes.

No, I can tell, at least at that level. And so can he! But he *always* carries the meter if I want to resort to it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well yes. Dextrosol is useful to fix a sudden onset hypo really quickly. Comparatively, it has a very similar roller coaster effect to "fat Coke", and yes I agree, one does need some lower GI carbohydrate as well. Trouble is that it's not as interesting as a mars bar.

That's really very good. How old is he? I presume he's a type 1? If he's doing that level of monitoring and control, even if it's a scam in part, then it's impressive.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Jaffa cakes are a favourite - a nice mixture.

Type 1, and he's 11. Luckily, an out and out geek. When he was shown the blood glucose meter for the first time last year, and had it demonstrated, he was asked at the end if he had any questions. He said he had just one, and the nurse caringly said that she was there to help, and what was it? "How do you upload this to a PC?" was his response. So we do that weekly, and analyse the results.

He tests four times a day routinely, and more if necessary. A lot of his friends watch him do it at lunchtime; some think he's "hard" because he draws blood every day! He's in the forensics after school club, and next week they *all* have to draw their own blood for tests; for him it's a doddle.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes I can see that. The jelly should produce a fast result and then the sponge and chocolate something that should last an hour or so.

I love it. Not "can you?" but "how do you?"

When he's got the BSD version of the software running, you'll know he really is a chip off o the old block.....

I bet he'll enjoy some of the ones who think they are hard going pale like nancies. :-)

Forensics after school club. That sounds like fun. What a great way to learn science

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, he's already a BSD user...but at the moment he's absorbed in PIC programming..

That's Mondays. Tuesdays he has robotics club!

I guess it's on topic...he's already a DIY-er! Had a toolbox and a load of tools for his tenth birthday...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes. You seem to have missed the peaty burn water, which is common in private supplies. There are also large areas - for example, much of Galloway - where Scottish Water is still using ancient iron pipes that are heavily sedimented with rust, and frequently fail.

Mary added:

You'd be less tolerant if the water supply to whole communities was interrupted by bursts several times a year, and then came out browner than coffee for several hours on end. You also wouldn't enjoy the water company's bland assertions that it's perfectly good to drink.

Reply to
Ian White

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:38:28 GMT someone who may be Roger wrote this:-

The most likely explanation remains that I haven't seen brown tap water in Scotland.

While my memory is not perfect this is not the case.

That is an insult.

Reply to
David Hansen

I've been very surprised to see that most dog walkers here (my neighbourhood and other places in UK) do clear up after their dogs. I didn't expect it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

David, you don't seem to understand that many posters know far more about us than we do ourselves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've stayed often in Galloway - differnt parts - and never seen brown water from the mains.

That must mean that I'm blind, forgetful or untruthful I suppose ...

It IS perfectly good to drink ...

If you like crystal clear water I hope you give thanks to the water companies when you have it.

Oh - and crystal clear water isn't 100% free of impurities. And distilled water isn't nice to drink.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I have mixed views on this. Obviously those who clear up and take it home are unknown and unrewarded. However, there appear to be a minority who collect, presumably where their pet has performed close to home and in a controlled area, and then dispose; complete with plastic bag, when rural bramble patches are reached.

Perhaps a student of behavioural science could take this up as a research project. I would like to know what proportion of rural dog walkers unnecessarily take it home and what proportion bag it and dump it out of immediate sight.

I was very curious to find two full doggy bags placed beside my by-way this morning. Hopefully they were filled on the outward leg and placed ready for collection on the way back. This is 400m from the nearest dwelling let alone dog poo control area. I think scooping off the path and letting nature take it's course would do.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It only means you haven't been here when it happened - if you had, you'd have remembered.

Not until you know for sure whether that brown content is animal, vegetable, mineral, dead or alive.

No, I give *money* for it - and expect the water company to keep their side of the bargain.

Reply to
Ian White

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

Reply to
Roger

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

Sorry about the previous which managed to escape without any new content at all.

Which returns us full circle. You must have lived a very sheltered life.

Yawn.

Reply to
Roger

And it's quite corrosive, much more than tap water. It dissolves glass and copper at least, although it does take a while.

Reply to
<me9